Outpost 37 (aka Alien Outpost) is a 2014 mockumentary war movie. In 2021 the Earth was invaded by by the alien "Heavies", who were fought off-planet, but left behind thousands of their soldiers. The setting is a DMZ between Pakistan and Afghanistan, where the USDF (United Space Defense Force) has maintained an outpost for a decade after the invasion. In 2033 a camera crew documents three rookies as they join the outpost and the eventual conflict with Heavy remnants.
Interspersed with the jitter cam and spy cam footage are interviews with the soldiers and TV news broadcasts to uphold the documentary format. A few thermal and night-vision camera shots also appear, unsurprisingly as it's in the future when the cameras should be less expensive.
This film provides examples of:
- 20 Minutes into the Future: 19 years, anyways.
- Abnormal Ammo: The red ammo is designed to take out Heavies and has a red muzzle flash. Each round has armor piercing phosphorous bullets.
- Attack Drone: The outpost has at least one, used for scouting at night, but also has missiles.
- Covers Always Lie: The poster and tagline give the impression of a big-budget sci-fi movie.
- Energy Weapons: The alien Heavies have some sort of Plasma Cannons.
- I Cannot Self-Terminate: Those taken over by the alien mind-control implants beg for death.
- Instant Death Bullet: Several throughout the course of the film.
- Not Using the "Z" Word: They remain unlabeled.
- Super Toughness: The Heavies required special ammunition to take them out, which was developed only after one of their bodies was acquired and studied.
- Technically Living Zombies: After 10 years of tolerating a USDF outpost, the locals suddenly attack it. But only because they were kidnapped and implanted with mind-control devices by the Heavies.
- United Nations: Disbanded and replaced by the United Space Defense Force after the invasion.
- War Is Hell: One of the rookies gets the job of picking up various blown-off body parts for later burying.
- Sci-Fi / War Movie: Soldiers versus Aliens.