Only Once is a 1998 American dramatic film directed by Rocco DeVilliers. It is based on the book Greg & Kellie by Douglas and Donlu Thayer. The film follows the teenagers Greg and Kellie, who fall in love and make a mistake when they're alone at a cabin. Kellie gets pregnant and Greg has to summon the courage to inform his parents.
Only Once contains examples of:
- Adaptation Distillation: The original book has two sections which tell the story from Greg and Kellie's perspectives, while the movie focuses mainly on Greg.
- The Big Damn Kiss: Greg and Kellie kiss a couple times during the movie, but their climactic show of affection after they tell their parents that Kellie is pregnant is when they hug.
- Dedication: The film is "respectfully" dedicated to David Jensen, who played Greg's father and died before he could see the finished movie.
- Falling-in-Love Montage: Greg and Kellie get one, where they ride together in a motorcycle, walk around, and watch airplanes taking off.
- Flames of Love: The fire in the cabin represents Greg and Kellie's love/lust for each other.
- Good Parents: Greg and Kellie both have very supportive parents. Greg's father is especially concerned for his son.
- Heartbeat Soundtrack: Greg gets one when Kellie tells him she's pregnant.
- In Medias Res: The film starts with Greg having a nightmare about his girlfriend giving birth. It then skips back to how they met.
- Kneel, Push, Trip: Two kids do this to another kid in one of the establishing shots of Lone Peak High School.
- Love Doodles: Kellie's Establishing Character Moment is her drawing a portrait of Greg while at school. She then accidentally gives this drawing to Greg.
- Morning Sickness: Downplayed. Kellie is too sick to attend church because she's pregnant. She doesn't throw up as is common with this trope.
- Nightmare Sequence: The film starts with Greg dreaming that Kellie is giving birth in the hospital.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: Greg is devastated when he learns that Kellie is pregnant. He considers selling his motorcycle, and his father immediately to suspect something is wrong, remarking that he hasn't been himself lately.
- Sexy Discretion Shot: When Greg and Kellie start kissing in the log cabin, the scene cuts outside.
- Teen Pregnancy: Kellie tells Greg she's pregnant.
- Vertigo Effect: The camera does this on Greg when he learns that Kellie is pregnant.