One Night Surprise (Chinese: 一夜惊喜; Yi Ye Jing Xi) is a 2013 romantic-comedy film directed and written by Eva Jin, and features Fan Bingbing, Aarif Rahman, Pace Wu, Jiang Jinfu and Daniel Henney. Michelle (Fan) is a 32 year old career woman who seemingly has it all: good looks, and a career on the rise. However, the bachelorette finds herself pregnant about 40 days after her 32nd birthday bash (where she cosplayed as Marie Antoinette and had a memory blackout from the alcohol binge). She then sets out to find the father of her child; the suspects include Bill Zhou Bi'an (Henney), her boss and Tony Zhou Tongyu (Aarif), her subordinate. Along the way, Michelle starts to question her priorities in life and realises that perhaps, chasing her personal dreams may bring her more happiness than her current lifestyle....
Contains examples of:
- Abhorrent Admirer: Michelle has Tiger, a rich seafood sauce trader. The narration even explicitly mentions that Tiger wouldn't take the hints (subtle or otherwise) that Michelle wants nothing to do with him.
- Afraid of Blood: Implied with Tony, after he sees Michelle giving birth.
- Alcohol-Induced Idiocy: How Michelle got herself pregnant and didn't know who the father was. Doesn't help that she got Tony to drink an entire bottle of champagne before they did the deed.
- The Baby Trap: Zig-zagged. Although Tony was initially only Michelle's admirer, he did take advantage of Michelle's drunkness. On the flip-side, he was truly in love with her and perfectly willing to take care of her and their child.
- Beneath the Mask: Underneath her no-nonsense, career-obsessed demeanour, Michelle's actual dream is to set up her own handicrafts shop. She does so near the end of the movie, in a foreign country (Malaysia), no less.
- Daydream Surprise: Michelle is fond of these, which causes her some embarrassment after she snaps out of them.
- Eating the Eye Candy: Michelle as she peeks at Tony showering.
- Good Girls Avoid Abortion: Played with. While Michelle kept the baby in the end, her gynecologist (who's her primary school classmate) rattled off nonchalantly a series of facts regarding the ideal window period to have an abortion.
- Gilligan Cut: Tony claims that cats love him and vice versa. Cue Michelle's cat snarling at him come the next scene.
- Humiliation Conga: Bill. In one day, three staff members resigned, including his secretary, and his soon-to-be-ex wife records down how he had sex with said secretary while in a drunken stupor for use as evidence for the divorce proceedings.
- Made of Iron: Michelle. She avoids a miscarriage after a car accident, falling down a slope and falling through the roof of a cottage.
- Red Herring: It was established early in the movie that Tony was the first to leave the party. However, Michelle called him and he returned to the hotel room where she was staying...
- The Reveal: Bill did have a one-night stand on the night of Michelle's birthday party, but it was with his secretary.
- Serial Spouse: Michelle's close friend-cum-confidante Vivian. At one point, Michelle quips that she wouldn't take advice on love and marriage from someone who had been through 3 divorces.
- Shower of Angst: Given that Michelle was technically date-raped, the angst is understandable.
- Troll: While they were chased by a dog, Tony shouts to Michelle that the dog may be chasing her due to the red overall she's wearing; she then throws the overall away. When the dog continued chasing them, Tony tells her that dogs are colorblind.
- Who's Your Daddy?: A major part of the plot is Michelle trying to find out who the father of the child was. She suspected (and hoped) that it was Bill, but it turns out to be Tony.