Max Carlyle (Snipes) has a successful career directing television commercials and is happily married to Mimi (Ming-Na), with whom he lives in Los Angeles with their two children. While visiting New York City, Max meets Karen (Kinski) by chance after missing a flight; circumstances keep bringing them together over the course of the evening, and they end up spending the night together. When he returns home, Max seems distant and unhappy, though Mimi can't tell why and Max won't say. A year later, Max and Mimi fly to New York to visit his close friend Charlie (Downey, Jr.), who is near death from AIDS. Max meets Charlie's brother Vernon (MacLachlan) and is introduced to his new wifeKaren. Facing Karen sends Max into an emotional tailspin, and he realizes that he must tell Mimi the truth about his indiscretion.
This film provides examples of:
- Bait-and-Switch: After the reveal that Max and Karen's spouses were having an affair of their own with each other, the four are seen dining amicably. At first it seems that both Max and Karen returned to their spouses like nothing happened, but in the end it's confirmed that Mimi and Vernon and Max and Karen kept carrying on their relationship when the former two leave together.
- The Immodest Orgasm: Mimi turns out to be very vocal when she's having sex with Max. He for his part seems rather embarrased by it, to the point that he ends up gagging her mouth with a rag.
- The Oner: In one scene Max walks down a street and exposits to the camera, through it does not end up being one continous shot as it's noticeably cut in the middle.
- The Reveal: In the end it's revealed that Max's wife Mimi was also cheating him... with Vernon, Max's mistress' husband. Yes, the adulterous lovers' respective spouses were also cheating with each other.
- Your Cheating Heart: The whole thing starts when Max has a one-night stand with Karen. In the end it is revealed that their respective spouses were also having an affair... with each other.