A gang of violent marauders has just botched their latest job when they happen upon a traveling couple and decide to coax them to part with their valuables through torture. Unfortunately for them, the male of the couple is a serial killer.
This film provides examples of the following tropes:
- Black-and-Gray Morality: It's a group of brutal career criminals versus a serial killer. Though at times it's difficult to tell who's the "gray" in the movie.
- Dead Star Walking: Lee Tergesen dies rather quickly.
- Decoy Protagonist: The Driver is the Big Bad and the thugs are the Villain Protagonists unlike what it seemed earlier.
- Amber seemed to be set up as a decoy Final Girl.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Even know he was a bastard, Hoag cares deeply for his brother Ethan and his daughter Amber.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Played with as while he treated her like shit afterwards, Flynn was still shocked to see Emma in the back of Driver's car, helping her out.
- Evil vs. Evil: Violent marauders versus a psychopathic serial killer.
- Final Girl: Emma, who is also a Final Girl of another story. She confronts the man at the end who killed her friends and kidnapped her, but she's ultimately set free at the end.
- Improvised Weapon: A lot of the weapons Driver uses including a loose handcuff to though the chin and out the mouth, a clipboard...which somehow cuts through the victim's neck, a woodchipper and even a running engine to the face.
- Kill 'Em All: Subverted. You would think this based on the title, but nope.
- Moe Greene Special: A cop takes a fatal bullet to the eye.
- Pay Evil unto Evil: Almost the whole idea of the film, a group of violent criminals forced to go against a violent psychopath.
- Sickbed Slaying: In the end, the Driver sneaks into Denny's hospital room and kills him.
- Token Evil Teammate: Okay, so they're career criminals which obviously means they're less than nice at the best of times; it's pretty obvious, however, that Hoag and his team are disgusted by Flynn's murderous antics.
- Trailers Always Spoil: The trailer gives away the plot twist, and some of the deaths.
- Your Head Asplode: Flynn's death by shotgun blast to the face.