Night School is a 2018 comedy film starring Kevin Hart, Tiffany Haddish directed by Malcolm D. Lee and starring Kevin Hart, Tiffany Haddish, Rob Riggle, Romany Malco, Keith David, Taran Killam, and Anne Winters.
The story follows Teddy, an underachieving student, and a group of other adults who aspire to earn their GEDs.
No connection to the 1981 slasher film of the same name.
- - - -
Night School (2018) provides examples of:
- Book Dumb: Teddy doesnt perform well academically. This becomes justified later when its revealed that he has a learning disability.
- Break the Haughty: Apparently failing high school and being forced to get his GED was a part of the reason why Teddy outgrew his bullying ways and became a Nice Guy.
- The Bully: Teddy was this towards Stewart in high school.
- Butt-Monkey: Teddy is this throughout the film.
- Create Your Own Villain: Teddy bullying Stewart in high school was what caused Stewart to grow up to be a bitter, domineering principal towards the students.
- Dean Bitterman: Stewart, the school principal of Teddys night school.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: Denise (Responsible) and Teddy (Foolish). Denise gets good grades & good scores on her tests. Teddy gets bad grades, flunked high school, and has to go to Night School to get his GED.
- Freudian Excuse: The reason why Stewart was mean to Teddy in the first place was due to a grudge he held against Teddy for the latters bullying.
- Loser Protagonist: Played With. Teddy works at the local dealership. He doesnt have his diploma and ends up working at a restaurant. Teddy doesnt seem to mind, though.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Stewart gets this when his actions indirectly cause Lisa to call off her engagement with Teddy. Stewart feels awful & apologizes to Teddy.
- Ms. Fanservice: Lisa usually wears attractive, tight clothing and even sends Teddy a picture of her in bed in lingerie.
- Nice Guy: Teddy & Carrie.
- Reality Ensues:
- Even though Teddy didnt graduate high school, he did find hard-earned success, which is not unheard of among people who didnt get their diplomas. However, when his dealership job went down in flames (literally), Teddys lack of GED severely cripples his hiring prospects.
- You won't be Easily Forgiven for lying to your fiancee about your lifestyle, even if you did have a sympathetic reason.
- Considering how Teddy DOES has a learning disability, it makes sense that he would fail the test many times until he finally passed.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Carrie is this towards the Night School students.
- Revenge: The reason why Stewart was so hostile towards Teddy was because the latter bullied him in high school.
- Sassy Black Woman: Carrie, the unorthodox teacher.
- Schoolyard Bully All Grown Up: Inverted. Teddy was the bully, but now hes a reformed Nice Guy.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: The owner of the dealership takes the insurance and flees, screwing over Teddy to save his own hide.
- Teen Pregnancy: Theresa became pregnant in high school and wants to obtain her GED.
- The Team: The students form this dynamic during the heist. Teddy is The Leader, Luis is The Lancer, Theresa is The Chick, Mackenzie and Jaylen are The Big Guy, and Mila is The Smart Guy. Bobby serves as a sort of sixth ranger since hes in jail and cant directly help out.
- Tiny Guy, Huge Girl: Teddy (tiny guy) is this to Lisa (huge girl). Lisa doesn't seem to mind.
- Wouldn't Hit a Girl: Carrie owns Teddy many times in the ring & the poor guy made no effort to fight back. Justified, as Carrie was trying to do an alternate method of teaching.