Night Hunter (titled Nomis on the international market) is a Canadian-American Psychological Thriller written and directed by David Raymond. It was first screened in selected film festivals in late 2018 as Nomis, then was released on August 8, 2019 by DirecTV on video-on-demand. Saban Films will release it theatrically on September 6, 2019.
A weathered lieutenant, his police force and a local vigilante are all caught up in a dangerous scheme involving a recently arrested, troubled man who's linked to years of female abductions and murders.
It stars Henry Cavill as Lieutenant Marshall, Alexandra Daddario as Rachel, Ben Kingsley as Cooper, Stanley Tucci as Commissioner Harper and Brendan Fletcher as Simon Stulls. The rest of the cast includes Minka Kelly, Nathan Fillion, Emma Tremblay and Leo Palay.
Night Hunter contains examples of:
- Alas, Poor Villain: Simon Stulls is a pathetic, crying wreck of a human who got there due to a profound psychological trauma. The first trailer specifies that he has a Split Personality disorder.
- The Bait: Cooper uses underage girls to track down and trap pedophiles.
- Good Cop/Bad Cop: Marshall is a little more blunt than Rachel when trying to make Simon talk.
- Hearing Voices: Cooper talks about a typical sexual predator's drive as if it was a voice in his head.Cooper: I'm talking about the endless voice in a predator's head that says "Do it! Do it! Do it!".
- Minor Crime Reveals Major Plot: Granted, sexual predation is not a minor crime, but there is more behind it here.
- Pædo Hunt: Cooper uses an underage girl to lure a pedophile in an apartment, knocks him out on the back of his head with a bat, handcuffs him to a bed and chemically castrates him. Then Cooper divides the man's savings between the victims that he abused.
- Serial Rapist: Cooper is on a Pædo Hunt, catching a man who apparently abused several young girls.
- Split Personality: Simon Stulls has a multi-personality disorder.
- Vigilante Man: The Pædo Hunt Cooper threw himself into would clearly not be approved by authorities.