Nancy Drew and the Hidden Staircase is a 2019 American teen mystery/comedy film directed by Katt Shea (Poison Ivy and The Rage: Carrie 2) and written by Nina Fiore and John Herrera. It is based on the book of the same name from the Nancy Drew franchise by Carolyn Keene. It was earlier adapted on film in 1939. It stars Sophia Lillis (of It fame), Zoe Renee, Mackenzie Graham, Laura Slade Wiggins and Sam Trammell.
Nancy Drew (Lillis) is a bit of an outsider and struggles to fit into her new surroundings. She and her pals set out to solve a mystery, make new friends, and establish their place in the community.
Nancy Drew and the Hidden Staircase contains the following tropes:
- Bully Hunter: Nancy, at the beginning. She helps one of her friends who's constantly humiliated by a bully getting revenge on said bully with a prank. Said prank involves putting blue paint in his shower. It doesn't end that well for Nancy, as she's punished by way of community service (that is, picking up trash on public lawns).
- Continuity Reboot: The film has no connection to the 2007 Nancy Drew film bar being part of the same overall franchise.
- Missing Mom: Nancy's mother died prior to the story.
- Setting Update: The novel was written in 1930. The film is set in The New '10s, and everyone looks accordingly.
- Youthful Freckles: Nancy, as she's played by Sophia Lillis, who displays them.