My Father's Guests (Les Invités de mon père) is a 2010 French comedy film directed by Anne Le Ny.
Lucien Paumelle (Michel Aumont), a retired physician who has always been involved in humanitarian causes, informs his children Arnaud (Fabrice Luchini) and Babette (Karin Viard) that he will host a clandestine family in his flat. It turns out the said family is Tatiana (Veronica Novak), a young Moldovian, and her daughter Sorina (Emma Siniavski). Lucien is actually in love with Tatiana.
My Father's Guests provides examples of:
- Ambiguous Situation: Is Tatiana forced into a relationship by Dirty Old Man Lucien? Or is Lucien manipulated by Gold Digger Tatiana?
- Black Sheep: Arnaud was this. He left his family because he did not fit. His father stopped supporting him.
- Black Widow: Subverted. Arnaud suspects Tatiana to have knowingly given his father too much medicine to poison him. In the end, she tells him that she would not have done it, because she needed him to live longer to get the French nationality.
- Bourgeois Bohemian: Lucien Paumelle and her daughter Babette. They are wealthy and support liberal political causes, like the sorting out of illegal immigrants. The vegetarian aunt Hélène also counts.
- Citizenship Marriage: Between Lucien and Tatiana. It appears that it was more than that, at least in the eyes of Lucien.
- Creator Cameo: The director, Anne Le Ny, appears as a swinger woman in a car.
- Daddy's Girl: Babette who always considered her father was right about everything. She even chose to be a doctor like her father. She says she likes the same books, the same music... as her father.
- Dirty Old Man: Lucien Paumelle, a retired physician, try to charm a young Moldavian clandestine. She even pretends to be forced into the relationship. It is up to the viewer to decide whether this is true or false.
- Gold Digger: Tatiana is in a relationship with Lucien only to be allowed to stay in France and to live in a real house with her daughter.
- Like Father, Like Son:
- Sorina is a seductress like her mother Tatiana.
- Babette is a doctor like her father. She says they have the same tastes in everything.
- MayDecember Romance: Between Lucien Paumelle, a retired physician, and Tatiana, a young Moldavian clandestine. Lucien is really in love with her.
- Meal Ticket: Tatiana considers Lucien as this.
- Noodle Incident: Why Arnaud left the family and why Lucien stopped supporting him is left unclear.
- Nouveau Riche: Arnaud says openly he is one. He also says he often goes to a restaurant where he eats caviar.
- Self-Made Man: Arnaud is a wealthy business lawyer. It is clear he got no support from his family to get this position.
- Sensual Slavs: Tatiana is from Moldova and speaks Russian. Her daughter Sorina also counts, given the effect she has on Arnaud's son Simon.
- Shout-Out: In the end, Arnaud makes reference to a famous line of Doctor Faustus about the beauty of Helen of Troy.
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: Lucien and Tatiana.
- The Unfavorite: Lucien stopped supporting his son Arnaud when he was young.
- The Vamp: Tatiana charms Lucien Paumelle, a doctor supporting many humanitarian causes. She estranges him from his daughter and son.
- Your Cheating Heart: Babette has an affair with her colleague Dr Carter.