My Days Of Mercy is a 2017 romance film. It was released in the United States on July 5, 2019, by Lionsgate, and in the United Kingdom on May 17, 2019, by Signature Entertainment.
The film was finished off in 2017 but had its release delayed until 2019 for unknown reasons.
- Bi the Way: Lucy and Mercy both. The former mentions she's been in relationships with men in the past, or at least slept with them. Mercy it turns out has a boyfriend already when she meets Lucy.
- Bittersweet Ending: Lucy breaks up with Mercy midway through the film, and moves to California after her father's execution. Months later, Mercy tracks down and reunites with Lucy, still affected by her father's execution. The two awkwardly agree to go on a date.
- Both Sides Have a Point: Lucy is an anti-death penalty activist, while Lucy favors it. Both are portrayed as having sympathetic motivations, and the pair treat each other respectfully regarding this despite their disagreement, while growing to understand the other view more (Mercy ends up helping Lucy on her dad's case).
- Dark and Troubled Past: Lucy reveals hers to Mercy. Her mother was murdered, and her father is now on death row for doing it (but she doesn't believe he's guilty). His date for execution is only months away.
- Epunymous Title: Mercy is one of the two main characters, though it's also a pun given the film's subject matter.
- Hollywood Law: The first prisoner executed (who killed Mercy's dad's partner) is said to have been mentally disabled. However, the US Supreme Court has ruled that such prisoners cannot be executed.
- Irony: The DNA test Lucy thought would prove her father innocent in fact leads to showing he did it.
- Lady Swearsalot: Lucy, who swears fairly often, especially in contrast with Mercy.
- Maybe Ever After: At the end, Mercy tells Lucy she's broken up with her boyfriend and the two are going out on a date, making it possible they'll be together again.
- Ms. Fanservice: Both Lucy and Mercy. They appear in multiple sex scenes and also topless. It isn't necessary to the film at all, probably even distracting from the rest of the plot (especially as the clips of them surfaced on the Internet before it was even released).
- Office Romance: Mercy it turns out is dating her boss at the law firm. This would be forbidden by most law firms' HR rules, though it's unmentioned in the film.
- Token Romance: The romance between Lucy and Mercy is sweet, but is otherwise irrelevant to the main plot of Simon Moro's pending execution date.
- Your Cheating Heart: It turns out that Mercy is cheating on Lucy, because she has a boyfriend already (who she is cheating on as well, by extension). Lucy only finds this out when she drops in unannounced at Mercy's parents' home.