Tom Stansfield (Ashton Kutcher), a researcher at a Chicago publishing company, is asked to house-sit for his Control Freak boss Jack Taylor (Terence Stamp), who also happens to be the father of his Love Interest Lisa (Tara Reid). Naturally, everything that can go wrong does, and Hilarity Ensues.
This film provides examples of:
- Bad Boss: Good lord, Jack. All his employees are scared shitless of him, and he is known to fire people for little to no reason.
- Butt-Monkey: Most of the humor of the film relies on putting Tom in terribly awkward situations.
- Discriminate and Switch: The ending sees Hans transferred to Thailand. He goes to get on a bus and the driver tells him that "your kind" belong in the back of the bus. Hans starts to rant about the driver's attitude towards black people when the driver interrupts him and says he is talking about smokers.
- George Jetson Job Security: Jack fires two employees right at the beginning for petty reasons, such as making a bad cup of coffee.
- Mistaken for Gay: Near the beginning, a suitcase mix-up occurs, leading to a gay porn magazine falling out right as Tom is talking to Lisa.
- Ms. Fanservice: Lisa's friend Tina (plated by Carmen Electra) seems to exist mostly to bare skin and act seductive.
- Sexy Surfacing Shot: After being pushed into the pool, Tina slowly walks out wearing a clingy, tight and wet t-shirt that clearly transparent, all while seductively runs her hands over her body.
- Squirrels in My Pants: This occurs to Tom when accidentally releases all of the feeder mice for the owl in his boss's house. One of the mice runs towards Lisa's room, with Tom following. The mouse climbs into Lisa's purse, and Tom goes in after it, leading the mouse to climb up Tom's sleeve and drop into his pants. Lisa walks in and sees Tom jerking around and conveniently holding a pair of her underwear until he explains what exactly happened.
- Tagline: "There are some things you just don't do."