Muttertag is an Austrian film from 1992 by and with the comedians / cabaretists Roland Düringer and Alfred Dorfer, not to be confused with the horror movie Mother's Day.
The movie is set in a "Gemeindebau" (multi-store apartment block) in Vienna. It's centered on the couple of Edwin and Trude Neugebauer, their Son Mischa and Edwin's old father. And the choir leader, Frau Schübinger.
- Acting for Two: Five actors playing 24 roles!
- Adults Dressed as Children
- Apathetic Citizens: Mischa and his mother witness some drug addicts mugging the postman and stealing the kidney (not his one, he had to transport it)
- Bears Are Bad News: The detective in the shop wears a polar bear costume.
- Belly Dancer: Some of the Austrian housewives are doing a course.
- BFG: The cashier woman has one. "No, gentlemen, THIS is a gun!"
- Black Comedy
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: At the end of the movie, we see that the Kenyan hotel where it ends is just a model, er, movie set.
- Ceiling Banger: We can see that it happened quite often, since there are some marks on the ceiling.
- Comedic Sociopathy: The postman passes a sign telling that 3478 kids live in the quarter. Then we hear a noise, and the number goes down to 3477.
- D.I.Y. Disaster: To build up the table with parasol included on the balcony, they ruin the mother's favorite tablecloth.
- Genki Boy: The postman
- Good Cop/Bad Cop: They pretend to play this and claim that the noise from the next room was a colleague using the Jack Bauer Interrogation Technique. (It's really a movie running on TV.)
- Groin Attack: On the "polar bear".
- I Am A Humanitarian: Evelyn is killed (by a Schaschlik ), and they dispose the body by donating the meat for a barbecue party.
- Knife Nut: Several drug addicts, but also Mischa.
- No Periods, Period: Averted, one "girl" of the scout group gets her first one. The boys make comments like "all the girls bleed when the moon is full!"
- Not in Front of the Kid: They're just hugging and kissing, but the scout leader still insists.
- Old Maid: Frau Schübinger is not getting any younger and not settled. Being in one's forties can be kind of late for this thing.
- Running Gag: The guy in a flasher trenchcoat who shoplifts. "I was just looking!" Also: "But grandpa, you've never been in a [retirement] home!"
- Selective Enforcement: The trenchcoat guy steals half the shop and nobody minds (or even notices). Trude Neugebauer steals one lipstick and immediately gets caught by the shop's detective.
- Shout-Out: Mischa has Terminator and Iron Maiden posters in his room
- Troubling Unchildhood Behavior: The kid gang members tell Mischa he has to get Frau Schübinger to give him a fellatio.
- Ultra Super Death Gore Fest Chainsawer 3000: The computer game "the enemy" Mischa plays
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: A mother forgetting her baby, and noone cares. But she gets it back at the end of the movie.
- Your Cheating Heart: A lot of people are chaters in this movie. Hilarity Ensues.