Mr. No Legs (also known as The Amazing Mr. No Legs and Gun Fighter) is a 1978 American action exploitation film directed by Ricou Browning and written by Jack Cowden.
Chuck (Richard Jaeckel) and Andy (Ron Slinker) are two cops fighting to stop Florida drug kingpin D'Angelo (Lloyd Bochner) and his enforcer Mr. No Legs (Ted Vollrath), named that way because he's a double leg amputee who is armed with two shotguns built into his wheelchair armrests.
Much of the attention the movie gets is because of its casting of an actual double leg amputee as the title character: Ted Vollrath, a war veteran who lost his legs during the war, and went on to become a black-belt karate champion despite his disability.
This film features examples of:
- "Awesome McCool" Name: Mr. No Legs of course, especially since he's never referred to by his actual name.
- Bad Boss: Mr. No Legs is quite trigger-happy when it comes to blowing away low-level thugs for the most minimal screw-ups.
- Bar Brawl: A brawl breaks out in a bar, in which Andy and Mr. No Legs get involved (though they never meet).
- Big Bad Duumvirate: Turns out Captain Hathaway is D'Angelo's partner in crime.
- B-Movie: It's a run of the mill crime film, albeit with a memorable title character.
- Cool Car: Save for the police cars, pretty much every car that appears in the movie is some kind of muscle car for some reason. Then again, it was The '70s.
- Cool Sword: A nameless thug attacks with slashes, stabs, and thrusts Andy's car with a broad sword.
- Crusading Widower: More like "Crusading Brother", but the effect is still the same; Andy is especially motivated to bring down D'Angelo's operation after one of his drug dealers kills his sister.
- Deadpan Snarker: Chuck has some serious wit, such as in a scene when looking for some drug dealers:Andy: [spotting a black man in mile-high platforms with matching earrings, heavily implied to be a pimp] He could be a pusher
Chuck: He's a pusher, all right, but what he's pushing you stroke, you don't smoke!
- Detective Mole: Captain Hathaway is Chuck and Andy's boss, and also secretly D'Angelo's partner in crime.
- The Dragon: Mr. No Legs is D'Angelo top enforcer.
- Disc-One Final Boss: D'Angelo is killed by Mr. No Legs before Mr. No Legs himself is killed by Hathaway just before the climax, and the rest of the movie is spent on the chase to capture Hathaway.
- Establishing Character Moment: Mr. No Legs is introduced by way of rolling into frame, flipping up the shotguns hidden in the armrests of his wheelchair, and blowing away a pair of low-level thugs for screwing up their duties.
- Evil Cripple: Mr. No Legs is a wheelchair-bound Mafia enforcer.
- Grievous Bottley Harm: A lot of these are used during the Bar Brawl; one of the bar patrons who started the brawl eventually kills the other by stabbing her with a broken bottle before being stabbed to death herself by Mr. No Legs (although with an actual knife), while the bartender breaks a bottle over a patron's head after saying that "that black bitch" (one of the killed patrons) had it coming (the bartender was black).
- Handicapped Badass: Mr. No Legs may be a leg amputee, but as the thugs who tried to attack him can attest, that doesn't mean he can't kick a lot of ass, in one case literally.
- Mugging the Monster: The six thugs sent to attack Mr. No Legs clearly weren't aware that, despite being a leg amputee, he could fight back.
- No Name Given: Mr. No Legs' real name isn't given.
- Only Known by Their Nickname:
- Mr. No Legs is only known as "Mr. No Legs."
- Detectives Chuck and Andy are only refered to by those names, which are at least implied to be nicknames. This is a bit strange considering that, being police detectives and all, one would think they'd be refered at some point by more formal names, but nope.
- Paid Harem: D'Angelo's swimming pool is "decorated" with well-stacked molls.
- Reality Ensues: While Mr. No Legs manages to be deathly despite his disability due to his hidden shotguns and martial arts skills, once he's run out of ammo and in front of Hathaway' gun, he ends up very much dead.
- Secondary Character Title: Crossing with Antagonist Title, the titular Mr. No Legs isn't neither the main hero nor the main villain, but rather the main villain's enforcer.
- The Starscream: Turns out Mr. No Legs schemes to overthrow D'Angelo and take over his narcotics empire by pitting him against his secret partner Hathaway. It doesn't work, and Hathaway ends up outliving them both, if only briefly.
- Super Wheelchair: The titular Handicapped Badass Mafia enforcer moves around in a wheelchair that has concealed Ninja stars on the wheels and shotguns on its arm rests.