Mobsters and Mormons is a 2005 comedy film.
Carmine "The Beans" Pasquale is a Philadelphia mobster who is caught by the FBI. After Carmine decides to testify against his boss, he and his family go into the Witness Protection Program and are moved to Utah, in the heart of the Mormon Corridor. Hilarity Ensues as they try to fit in, and deal with the overly friendly neighbors.
This film features examples of:
- Chekhov's Gun: Carmine's affinity towards a very special type of coffee bean. At first it seems to be just an excuse for his nickname "The Beans", but after he and his family go into Witness Protection, the mobsters use it find him as, since Carmine's disappearance, there has only been one new home address ordering the special beans that Carmine likes.
- Fish out of Water: Carmine and his family are placed in a Mormon neighborhood completely unfamiliar to them, and most of the humor is derived from them adapting to it.
- The Mafia: Carmine was part of the Philadelphia mob. The movie is about him and his family going into Witness Protection after he agreed to testify against his boss.
- National Stereotypes: Carmine hits all the points for Italian-Americans, a "wiseguy" who peppers his dialogue with "badda bing, badda boom"s, and rigorously assists to church, which really sticks out when he goes to a Mormon neighborhood, as he and his family are the only ones to assist to the local Catholic church.
- Nosy Neighbor: The neighborhood in which Carmine and his family move on has one, who is on the phone the minute she leaves their house to turn most of the neighborhood (all Mormons) against them — not because of Carmine's ties to the Mafia (they don't know it), but because the neighborhood is all Mormons and the "Cheesemans" are Catholics.
- Shout-Out: The film's poster, seen above, resembles the poster for Uncle Buck.
- Unfortunate Names: Carmine is appalled when he discovers that the family name assigned to his family under Witness Protection is "Cheeseman".
- Witness Protection: Carmine and his family are relocated to Utah. Hilarity ensues as they try to fit in, and deal with the overly friendly neighbors.