A film directed by the guy who would later make Elizabeth. The film is an homage/spoof of the Bond movie formula and also one of the rare Bollywood superhero movies. Perhaps most famous for the Big Bad Mogambo, second only to Gabbar Singh in cinema infamy among Indians, and played by Amrish Puri (Mola Ram to Indiana Jones fans). The titular character of Mr. India is played by Anil Kapoor ad his love interest is Sridevi.
This film provides examples of:
- Big Bad - That would be Mogambo
- Catchphrase - "Mogambo, Khush Hua!" ("Mogambo is pleased!")
- Heartwarming Orphan - lots of them. The main protaganist runs an orphanage
- Invisibility - Mr India's power is turning invisible
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Seema who is rude and doesn't like children being mischievous but cares enough about them to try and save their house from evildoers.
- Kryptonite Factor - You can see Mr India by either using red light or a red filter
- Large Ham - MOGAMBO, KHUSH HUA!
- Shout-Out - The music and the movements of the whip in the scene where Mr India is moving the whip like a snake is a reference to the 1986 film Nagina starring both Amrish Puri and Sridevi
- Techno Babble - Description of how the invisibility machine works
- Wet Sari Scene - Sridevi is in a wet sari for a whole song
- Would Hurt a Child - Mogambo's mooks. Multiple times.