Xia Xiling, nicknamed Min due to her short height, is a college student who is dating a friend of hers nicknamed "Mr. Rabbit", who is currently studying in the United States. She meets a boy named Zhang Xiao, a postgraduate majoring in photography who comes off as rather perverted and is significantly taller than she is, thus beginning the story of the 2016 Chinese romantic comedy movie Min & Max.
Min keeps running into Zhang Xiao, who ends up falling in love with her and tries to win her over, but Min keeps rejecting him. Eventually, however, Min actually starts to develop feelings for Zhang Xiao... which, of course, is quite a problem considering she's already dating Mr. Rabbit. This, plus the fact that one of her friends, Miss Black, has a crush on Zhang Xiao and doesn't want Min to keep hanging around him. Will Min ever find a way to resolve this romantic ruckus?
Has absolutely nothing to do with Min-Maxing.
This film contains examples of:
- Animesque: Several very short scenes throughout the film are animated similarly to anime, mostly near the beginning when the characters are introduced. The film's intro is done entirely in this anime-like animation style.
- Badass Adorable: Min manages to break Zhang Xiao's arm during a tae kwon do fight, forcing him to go to the hospital and get a cast.
- Dreaming of Things to Come: Early on in the film, Min has a nightmare that she and Zhang Xiao are driving, when they notice a bunny on the road and have to steer away to avoid running it over... resulting in the car accidentally driving into the sea. Later in the film, such an occurence actually happens, with Min swimming away free and Zhang Xiao drowning.
- Fartillery: During an encounter with Lily the cheerleader and her bully friends, Miss Black literally farts in the face of one of Lily's friends as a means of fending her off.
- Fictional Video Game: "SO World Tournament", an MMORPG that Min is particularly good at, to the point that she's won the championship in that game.
- Geek: Lin Xun, Zhang Xiao's friend, is a computer geek.
- Gratuitous English: SO World Tournament's game over screen reads "YOU DEAD".
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Zhang Xiao and Xia Xiling a.k.a. Min, respectively.
- Meaningful Name and Punny Name: Min, which most likely comes from the word "mini", is so nicknamed due to her being noticeably shorter than most people. On top of that, it's also a pun on "minimum" while the name "Max" (referring to Zhang Xiao) is a pun on "maximum", with the title of the film using these to refer to the contrast between the characters' heights.
- Name and Name: It's more like Nickname and Nickname since the title characters' real names are Xia Xiling and Zhang Xiao, but it still counts.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Mr. Rabbit is never referred to by his real name.
- Thanks for the Mammary: In the library, Min accidentally trips over Zhang Xiao, and the two collide with each other in such a way that the latter's hands accidentally make contact with the former's breast area.