Mercenaries is a 2014 action film by The Asylum, essentially a distaff version of The Expendables starring Kristanna Loken, Brigitte Nielsen, Vivica A. Fox, Cynthia Rothrock, Zoë Bell, and Nicole Bilderback. While visiting Kazakhstan, the daughter of the president is kidnapped by a female warlord, Ulrika, and held for ransom. Because Ulrika distrusts men, the normal operatives are of no use, so Mona Kendall of the CIA (Rothrock) recruits four women in prison with unique skills to save the president's daughter.
This film exhibits the following tropes:
- Action Girl: Four of them. Five if you include Ulrika.
- Boxed Crook: The four women are offered pardons for their (largely trumped up) charges if they can rescue the president's daughter.
- Demolitions Expert: Mei Lin's specialty.
- Does Not Like Men: Ulrika does not trust men, and definitely has a thing for women.
- The Dragon: Grigori is the one man that Ulrika trusts.
- Excuse Plot: Four criminals recruited to save the president's daughter from a misandrist warlord... how can this go wrong?
- Girls with Guns: All four women have their preferred gun, but they seem willing to fire whatever is handy.
- Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy: The bad guys spray the protagonists down with automatic fire several times, and no one takes a hit.
- Although Grigori later takes a minigun to a set of hastily-armed prisoners and mows them all down easily.
- The Mole: Raven fairly predictably turns on the others and makes a deal with Ulrika
- Mockbuster: A gender-swapped mockbuster of The Expendables. Oddly enough, unlike most of their mockbusters, this is one of the few of their mockbusters that serve as a mockbuster of an ENTIRE series even though the mockbuster itself is just one movie.
- Neck Snap: Clay performs a fairly effortless one on one of the mooks.
- Token Evil Teammate: Three of the women are in jail for trumped up charges relating to them wreaking vengeance on men who spread pain in the world. Raven just likes getting paid to kill people.
- Trojan Prisoner: Part of their plan for getting in involves faking Mei Lin as a prisoner.