Set during concurrently with the Alien Invasion seen in Lane and the Kaiju attack in New York from the first installment, the film tells the story of the titular researcher Megan Paulson (née Stambler), and her meeting with Ganu Yoshida, CEO of the Tagruato Corporation.
For the 2023 horror film, see M3GAN.
Tropes in this film include:
- Acquired Poison Immunity: The "Seabed Nectar," which Word of God states was actually an extraction from the deep-sea Kaiju eggs, provides immunity to the alien's gas when ingested. Megan has this roughly demonstrated to her when Yoshida forces her to pull-off her gas mask and see for herself.Yoshida: The nectar works...
- Badass Longcoat: Ganu Yoshida sports one, which only adds to his enigmatic persona.
- Canon Character All Along: Megan isn't just a random military employee. She's Howard Stambler's estranged daughter.
- Casual Danger Dialogue: As the military flies into battle, Megan is seen casually sipping a Slusho! drink, and another soldier comments on her dietary choices.
- Connected All Along: It's suggested that the Tagruato Corporation had its hand in both the monster attack in Cloverfield and the alien invasion of Lane.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Ganu Yoshida, as par for the course with the ARG's interpretation of the Tagruato Corporation. He outright says he doesn't care that millions of people will die during the alien/monster attacks, and it's implied that he was secretly using humans as guinea pigs to test the effectiveness of Seabed Nectar's poison immunity by concealing it in Slusho! drinks.
- The Cuckoolander Was Right: Turns out that Howard Stambler, of 10 Cloverfield Lane, was accurate in his beliefs about alien invasions and secret government projects. Yoshida lampshades it when he remarks "Your old man wasn't that crazy after all."
- Foreshadowing: The film opens with a little boy playing happily with toy monsters on the beach while his mother looks on. At one point, he slams down one of the figurines on a toy car...which is exactly what happens to the Tagurato employee at the movie's end.
- Kaiju: The massive foot of something crushes the hapless Tagruato employee and his car at the end. Given the setting, it appears to be another one of the creatures from the first film.
- A Million is a Statistic: When an unknown person tells Yoshida (via computer messages) that "There will be lots of casualties" after an attack, he coldly types back "I don't care."
- Trademark Favorite Food: Megan enjoys drinking Slusho, which the soldiers frown upon. Her taste in soft drinks actually saves her life, as the "Seabed Nectar" Slusho is derived from renders humans resistant to the invader's toxic gas. Yoshida implies it was deliberately manufactured this way.