Marina is a 2013 Belgian biographical film directed by Stijn Coninx, starring Matteo Simoni and Evelien Bosmans.
Rocco Granata was born in Italy. He moves with his family to Belgium. His father has found a job there as a coal miner. In Belgium, Rocco will face discrimination and racism, but he will also start a career as a musician and he will find love.
Marina provides examples of:
- Benevolent Boss: The boss of the garage where Rocco works. He is really angry when he is forced to fire Rocco and later he buys his accordion to help him.
- Betty and Veronica Switch: Helena (Archie) has two suitors: Renaat (Betty), who is a Belgian like her and quite rich, and Rocco (Veronica), a poor Italian migrant. Renaat finally rapes Helena, whereas Rocco becomes wealthy thanks to his music.
- Biopic: The film is about the life of Rocco Granata, a real-life singer.
- Coming of Age Story: Over the course of the film, Rocco becomes an adult: he gets his first job; he experiences his first serious disagreements with his father; he finds love; and chooses a career.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: The managers of the coal mine. They fire Rocco's father after his occupational accident and they also take back his house.
- Derailing Love Interests: Renaat at first is just the son of a rich engineer, then he demands Rocco's dismissal, and finally he rapes Helena.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: Rocco is successful with his musical career, he reconciles with his father and he finds back Helena in New York, but his father is unable to work due to an occupational accident and Helena was raped.
- Fish out of Water: An Italian (Calabrese) family moves to Limburg (Flanders, Belgium). The food, the weather, the language are different.
- I Have No Son!: Rocco's father comes to this because his son is determined to carry on with his musical career, which he is opposed to.
- Industrial Ghetto: At first, Rocco's family lives in a shed in an area for migrant coal miner.
- Karma Houdini: Renaat is not punished for raping Helena. The police does not prosecute him because he was her fiancé.
- Latin Lover: Rocco is one for Helena Somers.
- Maligned Mixed Marriage: Helena's father makes very clear that he does not want her daughter to date an Italian like Rocco.
- Police Brutality: Rocco is beaten by the policemen when he is arrested after Helena's rape.
- Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil: Renaat crosses Moral Event Horizon when he rapes Helena.
- Rich Suitor, Poor Suitor: Helena Somers has two suitors: Renaat, the son of an engineer, and Rocco, the son of a coal miner.
- Romantic False Lead: Renaat is Helena's fiancé.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: Helena and Rocco. Helena's father makes very clear that he does not want her daughter to date an Italian. After her rape, she is sent to the US to make things worse.
- Talent Contest: Rocco participates in one. He needs to buy a better accordion for it.
- Wrong Guy First: At first Helena dates Renaat, then she is charmed by Rocco.