A 2009 Gay Christmas movie. Yeah, you read that right. Make the Yuletide Gay is about Gunn, a gay college student who is president of the GLBT student council, going home to his parents. The twist: he's not out to them. Even better: his boyfriend, Nathan, comes for a surprise visit to spend the Christmas holiday with them. Leading to a wacky Christmas season as they try and keep everything under wraps.
The movie was directed and written by Rob Williams, who also wrote its novelization in 2017. Rob's attempts to crowdfund a sequel film failed; he ended up releasing the sequel as a novel in 2018.
This film provides examples of:
- American Accents: Specifically, the Upper Midwest one, doncha know.
- And Starring: Gates McFadden
- The Cameo: Gates McFadden, given the And credit, is in the film for all of five minutes.
- Contemplating Your Hands: Seems to be the Dad's biggest trait.
- Chekhov's Gift: What Nathan gives to Gunn and himself.
- Coming-Out Story: What Gunn is trying to do the whole movie. The mom already knew, and was betting money against the dad about it.
- Doting Parent: Gunn's mom is this to a tee.
- Erudite Stoner: Gunn's dad, but luckily for him, he also happens to be a philosophy professor at the local university.
- Everybody Knew Already: Well, the Mom did, the Dad bet against her and thought that Gunn was straight.
- Have a Gay Old Time: The line of the song the film was named after.
- Homemade Sweater from Hell:The mom sports quite a few of these.
- Interrupted Intimacy: Gunn's mom chose the worst time to see if they needed new sheets.
- Junkie Prophet: Gunn's dad whispered the secrets of life into Gunn's ear. Gunn doesn't remember of course because this happened they day he was born. The dad doesn't remember either because he was 'high as a kite at the time'.
- Turns out it was "All you need is love", which happened to be the song playing on the radio at the time.
- Parental Neglect: In contrast to Gunn's doting parents, Nathan's parents went on a Christmas cruise and left Nathan behind, and left him a list of chores to do at their house.
- Side Bet: When Gunn comes out, the parents act rather upset, with the Dad standing up, facing away from them, then quickly going over to his stash of money in a cookie jar to pay the Mom.
- Straight Gay: Gunn, more so when he's at his parents' house.