Lovers is a 2016 film from Mongolia directed by Janchivdorj Sengedorj.
Garid is a young businessman, a high-powered executive, who has returned to Mongolia after being educated at Yale and Oxford. While out in the vast Mongolian countryside scouting for construction locations, his SUV gets stuck in a creek. Needing a place to stop for the night, Garid walks to a nearby cabin, and meets Saruul, a sexy young artist. Saruul is the sort of person who likes to run naked in the woods and paint horses in psychedelic colors. She paints a nude portrait of him, and soon the two are having a torrid affair.
Garid goes back to the cabin in the country and finds Saruul gone. He's distressed, as he has no contact info for her, but soon enough she looks him up in Ulaanbaatar and gives him the portrait. The two are soon back to their frequent, vigorous sex, but Garid's skeptical coworkers, as well as a silly misunderstanding, threaten to break them up.
- Aborted Arc: One scene reveals that Garid has a girlfriend back in America, who apparently cheated on him at some point but wants to patch things up. Tropes like Romantic False Lead and Love Triangle are implied, but after that once scene in which they talk via internet video, the girlfriend is never seen again.
- Bathtub Scene: The single scene with Garid's girlfriend back in America has her in a bathtub, talking via video, trying to interest Garid in some masturbation. He declines.
- Contrived Coincidence: Mongolia, a vast and empty country, and Garid's car gets stuck right next to a cabin where his boss's daughter is staying.
- Fanservice Extra: The naked lady tied to a cross in a parody of the Crucifixion. It's some sort of weird avant-garde art show.
- Imagine Spot: As Garid is posing nude for Saruul a sex scene follows, which is revealed to be Garid's fantasy as he continues to pose. Then there's a cut to Saruul painting him, which is followed by her Imagine Spot fantasy of sex with Garid.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: She's an artist. She likes running naked in the woods and skinnydipping. She gets Garid to pose nude for her when they've just met. She takes horses she doesn't even own and paints them in wild psychedelic colors that look like they've jumped off a hippie's t-shirt. She goes to weird art exhibitions where naked ladies are tied to crosses in a parody of the Crucifixion. All of this is certainly mind-blowing for Garid the straight-laced corporate guy.
- Meet Cute: When Garid first meets Saruul she is up in a tree, arranging mirrors for a light sculpture. He gets a nice long look at her butt as she scurries down.
- Overprotective Dad: Averted. Tseevenjav isn't against Garid's relationship with Saruul because he's overprotective of his daughter. Rather, he's against it because Saruul's mother was a wild free spirit just like Saruul is, and the two of them were an ill match, and he thinks that Garid being with his daughter would be a similar ill match.
- "Pan Up to the Sky" Ending: After Garid and Saruul are finally reunited at the Sacre-Coeur in Paris, the last shot of the movie is a view from the steps of the Sacre-Coeur, which pans up to the sky.
- Poor Communication Kills: Garid invites Saruul to a company party at an art gallery. He tells her that he bought the whole gallery for her. She freaks out a little at this and says that they need to take a break. Moments later Garid sees her leaving the party with another man, which causes him to dump her and order her wall painting painted over. It turns out that the man she left the party with was her father's driver.
- Race for Your Love: Surprisingly, Garid loses it. He races to the airport only to find out that Saruul's flight has already left. He has to go to Paris himself to track her down.
- The Reveal: Tseevenjav, the boss of the corporation, is contemplating promoting Garid to general director, but he has reservations about the wild artist chick Garid is dating. When Garid is noncommittal, Tseevenjav drops the bomb...Saruul is his daughter.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: Skinnydipping, running naked through the woods. Saruul is very liberated.
- Skinnydipping: Just part of Saruul's Manic Pixie Dream Girl ways. After they narrowly avoid burning the cabin down, a hyped-up Saruul runs through the woods and takes all her clothes off, followed by diving into the river, followed by sex after Garid catches up with her.