Loser is a 2000 romantic comedy starring Jason Biggs and Mena Suvari. The plot centers around Paul Tennak (Biggs), a Dogged Nice Guy beginning college in New York City. Nearly everyone he encounters treats him like crap, except for Dora Diamond (Suvari), another student struggling to put herself through college.
The film provides examples of:
- Big Bad: Professor Alcott.
- Butt-Monkey: Paul, and to a lesser extent, Dora.
- The Dog Bites Back: After spending the whole movie putting up with his roommates bullying him, playing cruel pranks on him, and lying to get him kicked out of the dorms, Paul finally gives Adam a well-deserved "The Reason You Suck" Speech before punching him.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Paul.
- Extreme Doormat: Paul, until he finally stands up for himself at the end.
- Jerkass: Basically every character except for Paul, Dora, and Paul's family. Paul's roommates take the cake, though.
- Near-Rape Experience: One of Paul's roommates roofies Dora at a party, hoping to take advantage of her. He doesn't though, and she ends up passed out in the bathroom.
- Nice Guy: Paul, oh so much.
- Perky Goth: Dora.
- Precision F-Strike: "You know what? I really don't give a fuck." - Paul to Alcott, after he refuses to let Alcott bribe him with a higher grade.
- Sadist Teacher: Alcott.
- Smug Snake: Alcott.
- What Does She See in Him?: Dora's relationship with Alcott. Not only is he nearly 20 years older than her, he blatantly doesn't give a damn about her.