A British Slasher Movie from the year 1999.
A prison ship is transferring several convicts to a remote island prison. But then one psychopathic killer Leo Rook escapes and lands on a small island with a lighthouse in it. He then proceeds to kill the keepers and shut down the lighthouse. This causes the prison ship to crash, and the surviving staff and convicts end up on the island, where Rook is waiting for them.
Not to be confused with the 2019 film The Lighthouse.
Lighthouse will be showing you the way to:
- Accidental Murder: Spader is in prison because he accidentally killed someone during an epileptic fit.
- All in the Eyes: Used when O'Neill is hiding in the boat Rook uses to store the severed heads he has collected.
- Big Bad: Rook.
- Blood Is Squicker in Water: Spoons and Weevil realize that something is wrong when they find bloody water at the beach.
- Camping a Crapper: Almost averted when Campbell goes to the john and Rook arrives after him. After cleansing himself on the sink, he is just about to leave when Campbell accidentally alerts him with a rolling air freshener can.
- Cat Scare: Random falling rat gives a scare to McCloud and Spader.
- Chained Heat: Convicts Spoons and Weevil are chained together during the ship sinking to ensure that panicking Weevil will leave the ship.
- Clean Cut: When McCloud and Goslet finally hear Weevil's pleas for help behind the door, they open it, only to see his head falling off from his shoulders.
- Climbing Climax: McCloud and Spader climb to the topmost floor of the lighthouse to escape from Rook, and Spader has to fight him there.
- Cue the Sun: Rook's death is soon followed by the sun rising and help arriving.
- Disney Villain Death: Rook dies when an explosion in the lighthouse sends him flying down to the rocks.
- Epileptic Flashing Lights: The lightning flashes in the climax. Appropriately, Spader is a having an epileptic seizure as well.
- Flashback Nightmare: When the characters are waiting out to ambush Rook, McCloud has nightmare that reveals that Rook killed her mother years ago.
- Good Hair, Evil Hair: Rook has slicked-back hair.
- I Don't Like the Sound of That Place: The lighthouse is named Gehenna, which in New Testament was a place where children were sacrificed with fire.
- Life or Limb Decision: Weevil cuts off Spoons's hand with an axe to escape from Rook.
- Man on Fire: Rook when he falls from the lighthouse.
- Menacing Stroll: Rook's not in a hurry.
- Molotov Cocktail: Surviving characters devise a trap where they intend to hit Rook with molotov cocktails...
- Murder by Mistake: ...but they unleash it on the survived lighthouse keeper instead.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Rook.
- Neck Snap: How Rook kills his escape conspirator on the ship.
- Not so Above It All: Usually, a silent movie killer would fall (even while on fire) to the rocks below without a sound. Here, the killer screams in utter agony (the first time he really speaks) before gravity does the job.
- Off with His Head!: Rook likes collecting heads.
- Peekaboo Corpse: Goslet finds one of the beheaded lighthouse workers in a closet when he is searching for coffee.
- Quick Nip: Campbell prefers booze over water.
- Silent Antagonist: Rook never says a word.
- Slashed Throat: Rook kills one of the prison staff members by slicing his throat messily, and then finishes him by ripping off his head.