This movie contains examples of:
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Michael's mother.
- Drunk Driver: It's the straw that breaks the camel's back, leading to the intervention.
- Life of the Party: Michael sees himself as the fun version of this. Through the movie, he learns that people actually see him as the obnoxious sort.
- Russian Roulette: Michael plays this with his friends, claiming to have left only one bullet in the gun, and repeatedly pulling the trigger as he points it at them and himself. He left that bullet in his pocket.
- Staging an Intervention: It's the main plot with the twist being that the therapist doesn't show up and the people involved try to wing it.