There was criticism for its similarities to Dead Man Walking, which was released a year earlier.
It was released on May 3, 1996.
Tropes for the movie include:
- Clear My Name: Subverted, as it is clear that Cindy did it and while her lawyer tries to save her from the death penalty, she is still executed.
- Death Row: Cindy Ligget is there for double murder.
- Hope Spot: Cindy gets a stay of execution which gets lifted later.
- I Have No Daughter!: Cindys aunt disowned her.
- Last-Minute Reprieve: Cindy gets one. Too bad it is only temporary.
- No Historical Figures Were Harmed: Cindy is based on Karla Faye Tucker, who was executed two years after the film.
- Shot at Dawn: Cindy is executed in the end of the film.
- Tagline: "Sometimes justice is a crime".