Ladybugs is a 1992 comedy film directed by Sidney J. Furie and starring Rodney Dangerfield.
The film centers around Chester Lee (Dangerfield), an average Joe who agrees to coach his company's girls soccer time in the hopes of earning a promotion. When the team turns out to be... less prepared than expected, Chester enlists his fiancée's teenaged son to help, disguising him as a girl. Hilarity Ensues.
This film contains examples of:
- Artistic License Sports: One of the girls very roughly shoves an opposing player to the ground while "psyching them out" and somehow avoids any kind of penalty from the ref. This is following one of her teammates getting ejected for fighting, and well after a rival coach got a reprimand for throwing a chair and tripping a player.
- Catchphrase: Dangerfield's regular one is nicely reversed at the end, as he tells the camera, "What do you know, I finally got some respect!"
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Carmelita Chu collects butterflies. It takes Chester a while to figure out a way to keep her head in the game.
- Disguised in Drag: In order to help the Ladybugs (and get close to Kimberly Mullen), Matt becomes "Martha".
- Mistaken for Pedophile: Towards the end, as Chester's plot is exposed and Bess throws him out, Chester's attempts to explain his troubles to a bartender could probably have been worded better - "I dressed her son up like a girl and talked him into playin' with me..."
- Earlier in the movie, Chester is in a dressing room with Matt, helping the boy try on girl's clothes. During this, Matt is crying out in pain, and Chester is making comments like "Your mother would kill me if she knew about this", and "You're doing it! You're doing it!". The two emerge from the dressing room, with Matt looking like a girl. Chester, spotting a real little girl with her mother, greets her, causing the girl's mother to faint.
- Sassy Black Woman: This film has two - Chester's assistant Julie and Nancy Larimar, the last remaining member of the "Ladybug Dynasty".
- Save Our Team: The Ladybugs have fallen on hard times, with only one player from their winning season still on the team.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Matt only poses as a girl so that he can play soccer and help Chester get a promotion.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: Chester delivers this kind of speech to poor, nervous Penny Pester.