Juwanna Mann is a 2002 American romantic comedy-drama film directed by Jesse Vaughan.
Jamal Jeffries (Miguel A. Núñez Jr.) is a Jerkass basketball player who gets banned from the league, loses his millions and his agent. He needs to figure out a way to get back to playing basketball, but how?
Enter becoming a woman to play for the WNBA! Jamal's plan seems to work... at first. Vivica A. Fox, Kevin Pollak, Tommy Davidson, Kim Wayans, Ginuwine, and J. Don Ferguson star alongside Nuñez, Jr.
Juwanna Mann contains examples of:
- All Love Is Unrequited: Puff is still in love with Juwanna even after it turns out she's a man. The same could be said of Jamal's thing for Michelle for obvious reasons.
- Artistic License Sports: Any real world team/league would've insisted on a physical, especially for such an unknown entity as Juwanna Mann. Even if the team would be willing to let it slide, their insurance carrier wouldn't. That would've scrapped the whole scheme then and there. Not to mention media and fans just accepting that this elite-level woman just bamfed in from literally nowhere (that's aside from the Clark Kenting factor). No college tape, no high school records, no nothing. They don't even try to dig up dirt on "her" even after she becomes a sensation.
- Clark Kenting: Just add a wig, boobs and the exact same voice and voila! A woman!
- Cluster Bleep-Bomb: Jamal's press interview where he's supposed to apologize ends with no apologizing whatsoever.
- Disguised in Drag: For pretty much the whole movie.
- Easily Forgiven: Jamal pretends to be a woman, gets close to another woman just to hopefully get in her pants later, sexually assaults some of the players at one point, hears all of their personal business while between games, scams the WNBA as a man pretending to be a woman and will most likely face a myriad of legal issues, yet all it takes to win Michelle over are some flowers "just because its Wednesday."
- HeelFace Turn: Jamal goes from annoying and boastful to actually kind of likeable and respectful. He even interacts with fans better.
- Hypocrite: So it's totally okay for Jamal to cheat on his girlfriend and treat other women like pieces of meat, but when another man does it to him or does it to a woman he likes, then he's offended.
- Informed Flaw: Jamal is clearly not that satisfying in bed. When he asks his ex-girlfriend if she'll miss his good loving, she responds, "I packed it! The batteries, too!" Later, as Juwanna, while the ladies are agreeing with most of his advice, he seems to give himself away by saying, "It's not the size of the boat, but the motion in the ocean!" None of the other women agree.
- Jerk Jock: What sets the whole movie in motion is Jamal's unsportsmanlike conduct.
- Jerkass: Jamal is an obvious example. He sexualizes women and is an obvious misogynist, but he doesn't like being hit on by men he doesn't find attractive. Double standard much? Also, Romeo and Puff. None of the men in this movie are likeable at all and treat women with little respect.
- Karma Houdini: As the examples in Easily Forgiven stated, Jamal should have faced serious repercussions for the things he did in the movie.
- Not What It Looks Like: When Lorne finds out that Juwanna is actually Jamal, he tries to wrestle the contract from him. His receptionist walks in on what looks like the two having sex.
- Only Sane Woman: Aunt Ruby. She seems to be the only one who recognizes that his charade will unravel eventually. She also sets him straight when he starts talking about his romantic feelings for Michelle by reminding him that "She doesn't want you, she wants a girlfriend!"
- Please Put Some Clothes On: After Jamal's outburst, he strips down to his jock strap and then throws it into the crowd.
- Self-Proclaimed Love Interest: Puff to Juwanna. Seriously, why can't he get the hint that she's not interested?
- Shower Shy: Guess who and for what reason? Juwanna gets around this by saying taking off the jersey after a winning game is bad luck.
- The Casanova: Romeo. Doesn't help that he's played by Ginuwine.
- Too Dumb to Live: Pretty much everyone who can't figure out that it's Jamal Jeffries in a wig and some removable breasts.
- Wardrobe Malfunction: In the locker room when Juwanna is changing, her "breasts" somehow fly to the window and stick there. She manages to grab the prosthetic before Michelle or the coach notice.
- Your Cheating Heart: Jamal to Tina. Romeo to Michelle.