A 1999 Horror Comedy, starring Devon Sawa (Anton Tobias), Seth Green (Mick), Elden Henson (Pnub), Vivica A. Fox (Debi LeCure) and Jessica Alba (Molly) in her second major studio film to be released (only a few weeks after her first, Never Been Kissed).
Anton Tobias is a typical lazy stoner. He lives a typical life in suburbia, complete with two pot smoking buddies, a crush on the cute girl, and life is generally good. Until his parents and various other people around town are murdered. The culprit? Anton's right hand.
The movie was a commercial flop, but has garnered a nice little cult following in recent years.
This film provides examples of:
- Anticlimax: Debi skewers the hand with her magic knife, and it disappears in a pathetic little puff of smoke. "That was weak!"
- Big Bad: The evil force possessing Anton's hand.
- The Cameo: Dexter Holland, lead singer of The Offspring, as the singer of the band at the dance. Tom Delonge of blink 182 and Angels & Airwaves fame was a drive-thru employee.
- Chained to a Bed: When things are getting hot and heavy with Molly, Anton ties his own hand to the bed. He's doing it for her safety, but she thinks he's just being kinky.
- Connect the Deaths: They form a pentagram.
- CPR: Clean, Pretty, Reliable: Randy uses this on Debbi after she's knocked out to revive her.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Anton's theory about why his other hand didn't get possessed. It was never idle for long.
- Deadly Rotary Fan: How the hand killed Tanya.
- Demonic Possession: What's happened to Anton's hand.
- Descending Ceiling: Played with, in the climax The Hand has (somehow) managed to tie Molly onto the roof of a car that's on a hydraulic lift in a garage, and is trying to kill her by crushing her against the ceiling by raising it.
- Dirty Cop: Two of them bump into Anton, who recognizes them as dorks back when they were in school. They harass Anton until he kills them.
- Dying Clue: Anton's name is half-written on the floor, close to where his father was murdered.
- Dynamic Entry: How does Anton's evil hand make itself known at the dance? By dropping from the ceiling and scalping the singer of the band
- Evil Hand: The antagonist of the film is the evil force that possesses hands. It turns into a Helping Hand after it's cut off.
- Expressive Mask: When the hand disguises itself as a clown, it gets hit by a puff of stoner smoke, turning the clown face into a derpy look.
- Girl Next Door: Molly, Anton's longtime crush who lived next to his house for years. Although she's much more forward than expected.
- Grievous Bottley Harm: Anton kills Mick by stabbing him in the head with a broken beer bottle. It remains wedged in when he comes back as a zombie.
- Horror Doesn't Settle for Simple Tuesday: The events of the movie take place on Halloween.
- Hot Witch: Hot Druid in Debi's case.
- Hunter of Monsters: Debi, who comes from a long line of druidic priestesses sworn to defeat this specific evil.
- Life-or-Limb Decision: With his possessed hand trying to off him, Anton chops it off and traps it in the microwave.
- Ms. Fanservice: Molly wears a lot of revealing clothes and is only in her underwear for the entire climax.
- Naughty Nuns: Debbi isn't above having sex, as shown with Randy.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Mick and Pnub unleash Anton's trapped hand from the microwave while trying to fix themselves a snack. In their defense, they didn't know the hand was in the microwave.
- Nun Too Holy: Debi LeCure is introduced as a Nun investigating The Hand, but is quick to swear when finds it escaped and takes off her nun outfit to reveal Tomboy clothes underneath and drives off in her trailer.
- Off with His Head!: How Anton kills Pnub.
- Our Zombies Are Different: Mick and Pnub act pretty much the same way dead as they did alive.
- Refusing Paradise: After getting killed, Mick and Pnub refused to "come to the light" because it was too far. Anton blew off Heaven after accidentally getting crushed by a car in a hydraulic lift, because Molly taking care of him in bed "beats the shit out of Heaven."
- Shout-Out: Don't tell me Anton's severed hand moving about and killing people isn't a reference to Evil Dead 2.
- Sin Invites Possession: This film takes the phrase "Idle Hands are the Devil's playthings" literally.
- The Slacker / The Stoner: Anton at the start of the movie is seen even by his parents as a useless slacker who just smokes all day. His "dream life" lie down every day in bed watching TV.
- Stripping Snag: When Molly is tied to a car that's being raised to the ceiling, Anton tries to get her free but only manages to snag away her dress, leaving her in her underwear.
- Talking in Bed: The movie opens with Anton's parents talking in bed, just before going to sleep when they're killed by The Hand.
- Victory Sex: When druidic priestess Debi (Vivica A. Fox) finally uses her enchanted dagger to kill the demonically possessed hand, it's time for this with metalhead Randy (who'd been trying to score with her the whole last act of the film, but she was too focused on her mission).Debi: Well, my work here is done. Time for the ritualistic sex. (turns to Randy) Coming?
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: After Anton amputates his hand, it tries to kill him, no longer needing him.