Ice Cream Man is a 1995 horror film starring Clint Howard.
After witnessing the local ice cream man Butch Brickle killed before his eyes in a drug-related shootout, little Gregory Tudor has to spend some time in a sanitarium. Years later he has become an ice cream man himself, only one with a streak for murder.
It was given the RiffTrax treatment in 2018.
This film has the examples of:
- Adults Are Useless: Adults write off the kids' claims against Gregory as a case of Crying Wolf, and in the end it's up to them to stop him.
- Bad Humor Truck: Gregory uses Crickle's old ice cream truck to do his work. It has the word "for" missing from "Watch out for children" from the back of it.
- Bad People Abuse Animals: While he's more genuinely insane than truly malicious, Gregory kills his neighbor's dog and puts it through a wood chipper.
- Bedlam House: "Happy days" at the Wishing Well Sanitarium are anything but, as its leading doctor is crazy himself.
- Bond One-Liner:
- Gregory gives one after killing a girl with an icepick.That's what I call a brain freeze.
- Small Paul delivers one himself when he finishes off Gregory by leading him to his doom.Who's the Pied Piper now, ice cream dick?
- Gregory gives one after killing a girl with an icepick.
- The End... Or Is It?: The ending poses the question if Small Paul can get over his time with Gregory or will he become just like him.
- Eye Scream: Parts of eyes are one of Gregory's ingredients, and he gives an ice cream cone with some to Detective Maldwyn.
- Fairytale Motifs: The Pied Piper of Hamelin is heavily referenced throughout the film.
- Force Feeding: Gregory starts force feeding Tuna when the detectives corner him in his truck.
- Freudian Excuse: Gregory was traumatized after seeing his idol killed in front of him, and the mental hospital he was taken to actually made things worse instead of helping him.
- Grave-Marking Scene: Gregory has a tearful visit to Crickle's grave.
- Gross-Up Close-Up: The detective eating the ice cream with an eyeball in it. The camera stays locked in on his chewing lips for an uncomfortably long shot.
- Improbable Infant Survival: Surprisingly, in a movie about a killer ice cream man, he doesn't kill any kids.
- Ironic Echo: When Gregory asks some questions from Det. Maldwyn about their case, he tells him that is is classified. When Maldwyn moments later asks Gregory about his ice cream, he tells him that it's classified.
- Job Title
- Leitmotif: Gregory is frequently accompanied by that distinctive ice cream truck jingle.
- No Name Given:
- End credits give the name of the crazy doctor that runs the sanitarum as Crazy Doctor.
- Likewise, the doctor with the oversized syringe is known as Happy Doctor.
- Off with His Head!: Gregory holds an improptu puppet show to the kids with severed heads of the policemen that were sent to trail him in the climax.
- Product Placement: The film was sponsored by Converse Shoes, and there are lots of shots of characters wearing them.
- The Secret of Long Pork Pies: People are Gregory's secret ingredient.
- Terrifying Pet Store Rat: Whenever we see inside Gregory's truck, there are white mice and Madagascar hissing cockroaches wandering placidly around the ice cream and bloody eyes.
- Tragic Villain: Gregory, who had a miserable life and is genuinely insane.
- Vigilante Man: Jacob, who insists he's basically a cop already and is only lacking the badge.
- The Villain Knows Where You Live: The eponymous man uses the exact line: "You little turds are gonna have to realize you can't run from the ice cream man! I know where you live! If you tell anyone, I'll get your mom and dad!"