I Want Someone To Eat Cheese With is a 2006 Romantic Comedy starring Jeff Garlin and featuring talents such Sarah Silverman, David Pasquesi, Bonnie Hunt, Amy Sedaris, and Mina Kolb. Garlin plays James Aaron, an actor struggling with a lack of notability and his weight. He's 39, lives with his mother, and is rapidly going nowhere in his life. In rapid succession, his girlfriend breaks up with him, his agent fires him, and he loses his job with Second City, a local comedy troupe. Fortunately, he meets two wonderful women in his life, Stella and Beth. Unfortunately, neither of seem able to look past his weight. Meanwhile, he learns that a remake is being made of Marty, a film he's perfectly suited toward.
This film exhibits the following tropes:
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Beth seems poised to play this role to James, getting him to move out and make something of himself, but she really just wanted to have sex with a fat man so as to check it off her list.
- Maybe Ever After: At the end of the film, James is shown having dinner with a woman at the local retirement home while being watched by Stella and members of the retirement home and then the credits roll. Word Of God is that this is supposed to indicate that James has returned to theater and is making an attempt to have a relationship with Stella.
- Never Trust a Trailer: The trailer makes it look like a standard romantic comedy. It's much darker than that.
- The Remake: A remake of Marty drives parts of the plot. James's life parallels the plot of Marty, so he's an obvious shoe-in for the title role. It instead goes to a young attractive pop-star with the lines completely unchanged from the original "I'm ugly and I'm fat," and it's a hit.
- Title Drop: Said by Beth in the midst of Jay Pritzker Pavilion while watching a young couple doing just that.