I Really Hate My Job is a 2007 British indie film starring Neve Campbell.
It tells the story of five women working in a second-rate, rat-infested restaurant in London, and how they all have dreams of becoming something greater in life.
This film contains examples of these tropes:
- Ax-Crazy: Alice seemed to be on the verge of this, if the quote up there says anything.
- Bittersweet Ending: Abi is fired, Rita quits, Alice realizes the book she worked on for six years is awful, they will likely never have a customer again after Abi's little peepshow. And yet it somehow manages to end on a hopeful note at the last second, because they all seemed to finally become friends.
- The Cameo Danny Huston just waltzes in makes an old timey music video and vanishes as magically and mysteriously as possible.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Averted with Rita who is simply striving to escape the dullness of everyday life. But Suzie seems to be a genuine example.
- Cringe Comedy
- Dining in the Buff: Abi strips naked in front of everyone in the restaurant she works at and takes a sip from a glass of wine.
- Fanservice: Abi's little vacation from sanity.
- Heroic BSoD By the end of their shift, everyone except Suzie has had a mental breakdown of some kind.
- I Just Want to Be Special: Pretty much the whole point of the film. You see them as just three waitresses, a cook, and a dishwasher. They see themselves as an artist, an actress, a novelist, and even a revolutionary. The only one who doesn't seem to have delusions of grandeur is Madonna.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Madonna.
- Inelegant Blubbering Poor Alice..
- Jerkass: Abi, who only worries about her own needs, at all times.
- Lethal Chef Alice, who is in no way a chef, but simply was given a spatula, bonus pay, and shoved into the kitchen from hell.
- Loving a Shadow: Abi has a celebrity crush on Danny Huston. She worries that he may not be as perfect as she imagines, but quickly brushes it off with the thought that he might fall madly in love with her.
- Nerd Glasses: Madonna
- Slice of Life: It was a nice way of seeing how stressful waitressing really can be.
- Straight Gay: Madonna
- Team Mom: Madonna tries so very, very hard to bring the employees together as a family, she is less than successful.
- You Just Told Me Madonna. Or should we say Jane?