I Came By is a UK thriller directed by Babak Anvari about a graffiti artist Toby Nealey (George Mackay) who targets wealthy homeowners. When he breaks into a house belonging to an apparently saintly former judge, Hector Blake (Hugh Bonneville), he learns that Hector is keeping a dark secret.
It was released in September 2022 on Netflix.
- Black-and-Gray Morality: Hector is a despicable monster, but Toby is also a thief and delinquent with delusions of grandeur who treats his mom and friend like shit.
- The Cobbler's Children Have No Shoes: Lizzie is a psychotherapist who is counseling a young man on his strained relationship with his parents, but her relationship with her own son is in scrambles. They barely speak to each other and when they do, they yell; then, she throws him out of her house in frustration.
- Decoy Protagonist: Not once but twice!
- Toby, set up as the hero of the movie, is murdered by Hector at the half-hour mark.
- Lizzie takes over as the protagonist after Toby's murder, only to be murdered by him as well forty-five minutes later.
- Depraved Homosexual:
- Hector's father, maybe, who engaged in a Questionable Consent relationship with his Parsi helper and caused his wife's suicide.
- Hector himself, who kidnaps, rapes and murders young men in his home.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: The crux of Hector's Freudian Excuse: his father had an affair with his Parsi helper, prompting his mother to commit suicide.
- Fictional Fan, Real Celebrity: Hector is a fan of Rick and Morty. It also doubles as a Take That!.
- Good Girls Avoid Abortion: Though Naz is in her early twenties and training as a solicitor, she and Jay are instantly adamant that she won't get an abortion.
- Just Like Robin Hood: What Toby thinks he's doing with his graffiting and scamming of bourgeois households.
- Kick the Dog: Hector throws away Naz's dissertation without even reading it.
- Kill the Poor: While Hector's victims are mostly chosen for being young men/teenage boys, he's shown to choose people from low socioeconomic backgrounds deliberately.
- Police Are Useless: Even though they are tipped by Toby that something's wrong with Hector, and later urged by Lizzie to look into Hector again, and also told of what Hector did to Omid, they don't take any of it seriously. And that's not even getting into the blatant mis-use of police power by Hector's police friend, who uses his power to release Hector because Hector is his friend!
- Too Dumb to Live: Omid had just escaped being drugged and kidnapped by Hector and is keeping away from the police due to being an asylum seeker. When Hector shows up in a car and requests he get in, Omid obliges. While Hector does threaten to stop his asylum request, it won't mean anything if he's dead, which Omid becomes soon after.
- Undignified Death: In a valiant attempt to attack Hector and rescue the prisoner, Toby charges into the cell, where he promptly slips on a puddle of piss, falls flat on his face and spits out blood. Hector subsequently beats him to death with a cricket bat, cremates him and flushes his ashes down a toilet. The same supposedly happens to all his main victims, and unfortunately Toby's mother as well.