I Am Roshni is a Bollywood 2018 independent film. Set in Madhupur, a small town in India, it tells the story of Roshni, her strict father, insensitive mother, sleazy uncle, asshole boyfriend... and caring brother Raj.
- After-Action Patch-Up: Roshni helping patch up Raj after his face gets beaten up in a fight.
- Beneath the Mask: Roshni is very cheerful and upbeat at school, but in other contexts she completely shuts down.
- Big Brother Instinct: Raj to RoshniRaj: Whoever has been mean to you shall be dealt with evenly.
- Blackmail: Raj and Roshni against their uncle
- BrotherSister Incest: Roshni and Raj Anand. He's been away at boarding school for years, and so while it's not Surprise Incest, it's easy to imagine they weren't together enough to form a Westermarck effect.
- Cassandra Truth: When Roshni tells her mother that she's being sexually abused by her uncle, her mother doesn't believe her—or at least claims not to believe her. It's implied that she actually does—or at least maybe does—but doesn't want to face it.
- Creepy Uncle: Roshni's uncle, her mother's brother, who molests her.
- Date Rape Averted: Raj for Roshni against Sachin.
- Driven to Suicide: Roshni in the end.
- Flames of Love: In Diwali, Roshni and Raj playing with sparklers together and flirt.
- Hates Being Touched: Roshni has trouble with being touched—hand holding, kissing—because she was sexually abused by her uncle. This causes trouble for her and her boyfriend Sachin.
- In Touch with His Feminine Side: Raj wants to be a chef. His father is not pleased with this. At one point, Raj makes a delicious meal for dinner, and his father praises when he thinks his wife made it, but then flips out when he learns his son cooked it.
- Meaningful Name: Roshni, whose's name means "light."
- Parental Abuse: When their kids are hurt by others, Roshni and Raj's parents punish them for it.