Cowen Rosewell (Drew Casson) is a teenager living in the town of Hungerford, England. He has friends in Kipper (Sam Carter), Adam (Tom Scarlett), and Adam's sister Phillipa "Phil" (Georgia Bradley). For a school project, Cowen will be recording a week of his life, so he has a camera rolling most of the time with him.
Life seems normal, until lightening strikes a tower in the area. Not long after, Cowen notices people partaking in strange, disturbing behaviour. It's not a lot, so he doesn't really think much of it... until he sees his crush's father banging his head against a window.
From there, Cowen and his friends realize something is SERIOUSLY wrong, and ultimately find out that people are being taken over by giant bugs that burrow into people through the back of their neck and take over their bodies within. Now, Cowen and co. need to figure out how they can get somewhere safe.
The movie was released on May 3rd, 2014. It also has a sequel, The Darkest Dawn.
Hungerford contains examples of:
- Alien Invasion: The bugs are ultimately revealed to have been released on Earth by alien invaders. This comes to light at the end of the movie when Cowen sees a huge spaceship hovering into his field of vision.
- Big Creepy-Crawlies: The town is being invaded by bugs roughly the size of a shoe. They take over the body by entering the human through the back of their neck.
- Bittersweet Ending: Aliens have invaded Earth, and human society is no more. Cowen's crush is dead, along with some of his friends. Despite that, he hasn't given up hope that Phillipa is out there, and that he'll find her safe and sound.
- Blood from the Mouth: When Adam is talking to a girl at a party, blood starts coming out of her mouth. Everyone starts thinking that Adam did something to her.
- Compelling Voice: According to Adam, when the bug enters your body, it starts telling you to do things, and you feel powerless to resist.
- Found Footage / In-Universe Camera: The film is viewed from the perspective of Cowen's camera.
- Location Title: The movie is named after the town it's set in.
- One-Word Title: Hungerford, naturally.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Cowen and his friends find out that the bugs are vulnerable to body spray. When Adam is taken over by one, they spray him with some, and it leaps out of his neck.