After visiting his father in Arkham Sanitarium, young Howard Lovecraft accidentally uses the legendary Necronomicon to open a portal to a strange frozen world filled with horrifying creatures and a great adventure.
This film provides examples of:
- Big Bad: Algid, later revealed to be King Abdul Alhazred.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Gotha, Davik, Twi'i and Innes whom Howard meets when he arrives in the Frozen kingdom, later arrive to help Howard defeat Abdul in the form of Algid.
- The Dragon: Spot / Thu Thu Hmong is transformed into Cthulhu by Algid's / Abdul's incantations; he becomes "Spot" when Howard uses the seal to change him back.
- Eldritch Location: Winfield's journal describes R'lyeh as "a dour profane kingdom an unholy marriage of fairy tales and nightmares."
- Exposed to the Elements: Howard spend the whole movie in his tailcoat. Please don't forget that the movie is Howard Lovecraft and the Frozen Kingdom.
- Fluffy Tamer: Howard changes the Cthulhu back into "Spot" when he uses the power of the seal.
- Fluffy the Terrible: Howard named the Lovecraft Lite tentacled/winged gorilla-like Eldritch Abomination "Spot."
- I Owe You My Life: Spot declares Howard his master after he keeps him from falling into an icy chasm.
- Instant Runes: An ornate circle with symbols appears on Howards bedroom floor when he utters the magic spell to send him to R'lyeh.
- Intelligence = Isolation: Howard's mother describes her son as someone who "puts off" his peers, preferring to stay by himself and read rather than play with them.
- Looks Like Cesare: Describes Howard and his father Winfield perfectly.
- Lovecraft Lite: Definitely Lighter and Softer than the original texts the film and graphic novel is based on. After all, the story involves a young H.P. Lovecraft befriending a playful, child-like Cthulhu.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Howard is a younger version of H. P. Lovecraft.
- Noodle People: The various human characters (especially Howard) have very large heads and toothpick bodies.
- Shout-Out: To H. P. Lovecraft and the Cthulhu Mythos.
- The Voiceless: Davik, until the end when he says "I'll miss you, Howard" after Algid's / Abdul's defeat.