Hotel! is a 2001 Made-for-TV Movie, which isn't even the only movie of that title which came out in 2001. Essentially Die Hard In A Hotel With Lots Of Puns. Featuring Peter Capaldi as the manager of a quaint little hotel in the English countryside, Paul McGann as the assistant hotel manager with a military background, Art Malik as a dastardly kidnapper, and lots of awful puns.
This film provides examples of:
- The Comically Serious: Almost everyone. Particularly McGann's character, who attempts to maintain his dignity whilst wearing a beaglepuss.
- Concussions Get You High: McGann's character gets hit over the head, and starts reminiscing dazedly about a nice walk in the countryside."He's rambling!"
- Excited Show Title!: The overly exuberant title is a pretty blatant reference to Airplane!
- Funny Background Event: A conversation between Capaldi's and McGann's characters that in another movie might have been tense and dramatic is constantly undercut by the bartender in the background attempting and failing an elaborate cocktail shaker routine, culminating in him getting distracted by a dramatic pronouncement from Capaldi and knocking himself out with a bottle he's attempting to juggle.
- Jerk Ass: Capaldi's character is quite similar to Basil Fawlty.
- Love Triangle: Capaldi and McGann's characters are both in love with the same woman, which plays out in a rather goofy manner.
- Low-Speed Chase: Moderate speed, anyway — they're in golf carts.
- Our Presidents Are Different: A fictional American president gets kidnapped.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: The classic Groucho glasses.
- Returning War Vet: McGann's character saves the day through a combination of military experience, sheer luck, and looking good in an undershirt.
- Sexy Discretion Shot: Although the camera pans away, silly noises can be heard nonetheless.
- Sleeves Are for Wimps: Even slim, pale action heroes can't be having with sleeves.
- Slow "NO!": Inverted. The intro scene sets up McGann's character's military background, and depicts the tragic death of his commanding officer. After the poor man dies in his arms, he throws his head back and screams "NOOOO!" in an absurdly high-pitched voice.
- Trouser Space: Bicycle shorts lack pockets — no problem.
- Visual Pun: Dozens. The usual setup: a character makes a perfectly normal statement which would be absurd if taken literally, then something occurs visually to reveal it was indeed taken literally. Sometimes it's reversed: something absurd is happening, then a character's remark reveals the pun.