While on a spiritual journey of discovery in exotic India, beautiful young Ruth Barron (Kate Winslet) falls under the influence of a charismatic religious guru. Her desperate parents then hire PJ Waters (Harvey Keitel), a macho cult de-programmer who confronts Ruth in a remote desert hideaway. But PJ quickly learns that he's met his match in the sexy, intelligent and iron-willed Ruth. Released on December 3, 1999.
- Bittersweet Ending: PJ's many attempts to cure Ruth and win her love all fail. A year later, they've both settled down, found different lovers and had children but still manage to profess their love for one another from afar.
- Depraved Bisexual: Ruth makes out with a random woman in a club and then prepositions PJ for oral sex.
- Entitled to Have You: PJ attempts to control Ruth this way don't work.
- Fan Disservice:
- A distressed, naked Ruth having lit the tree and her sari on fire.
- Harvey Keitel is a red dress.
- Fanservice: Ruth and another woman kissing and dancing together in a club.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot: PJ watches in lust as Ruth dances and makes out with another woman in a club.
- It Doesn't Mean Anything: Ruth's refusal to get emotionally intimate with PJ after sex and believes it was only a casual thing.
- It Meant Something to Me: PJ falls in love with Ruth after having sex with her and tries to be with her, believing it was something special. It does not go well.
- Mad Love: PJ goes mad trying to cure Ruth and ends up falling for her despite her reluctance.
- Sex Equals Love: What PJ believes after sleeping with Ruth.
- Would Hit a Girl: During a physical altercation in the dessert, PJ punches Ruth, knocking her unconscious.