- "Will Hitler escape this time?"
Hitler, Dead or Alive is a 1942 war movie.
A businessman has offered a $1 million bounty on the head of Adolf Hitler. A group of gangsters have decided to accept. They join the Canadian Air Force, only to desert the second they get to Germany. Thus begins their quest to kill Hitler...
This film contains examples of:
- The Alcatraz: Our heroes just got out of Alcatraz for mob activities the day our story begins.
- Alternate History: The film turns out to be the point of divergence for this, since Hitler is successfully assassinated.
- The Atoner: Meyer is an agent of La Résistance motivated by a desire to atone for saving Hitler's life decades ago as a young doctor.
- Bavarian Fire Drill: Steve bullshits his way into a German cop thinking he's a Nazi spy to get an easier ride to Berlin.
- Big Bad: The main target of the film's assassination plot is Adolf Hitler himself.
- Dangerous Deserter: Averted; The gangsters desert from the Canadian Air Force to carry out a mission that could win the war they were sent into in the first place.
- Distinguishing Mark: Our heroes prove they killed the real Hitler, as opposed to a body double, by shaving his mustache to show a scar on his upper lip.
- The Hero Dies: Though his mission to kill Hitler is successful, Steve Maschick is shot via firing squad by the Nazis.
- Meet the New Boss: Hitler's successor is so similar to him that most laypeople don't even know Hitler died.
- Price on Their Head: Our heroes are out to collect a million dollar bounty on Adolf Hitler.
- Rage Within the Machine: Countess Else von Brandt is the wife of a Gestapo officer who smuggles prisoners out of her husband's camp.
- Revenge: The reason the bounty is in place is that a millionaire wanted revenge on his brother's death at the hands of the Gestapo.
- Would Hurt a Child: The Nazis kill a bunch of kids via firing squad near the end of the film.