Hired! is a short Instructional Film produced by The Jam Handy Organization for Chevrolet sales managers just before the US entered World War II (it features 1941 model year cars). The basic plot concerns a sales manager named Mr. Warren, who despairs over the fact that his salesmen (particularly his newest, Jimmy) are lagging on their sales targets. After a somewhat strange talk with his father, Mr. Warren decides to work more closely with his salesmen, thus solving his problem.
This short provides examples of:
- An Aesop: Obviously, the lessons Mr. Warren presents at the end.
- Determinator: Jimmy has a crisis of self-doubt at one point, but pulls himself up and decides to continue regardless of past failure.
- Travelling Salesman Montage
- Won't Take "Yes" for an Answer: Mr. Warren rebuking one his salesmen on his technique - after he'd actually made the sale.
- It's proper to fine tune a salesman's technique - or anyone learning a new craft. Being successful when using wrong technique is not good reinforcement.