The patriots in the Shaolin Temple are being hunted down by imperial mercenaries for opposing the Manchurian government. Legendary warrior Hung Shi-kwan (Chen), escaping from the burning temple, secretly leads a resistance force. But following a run-in with Fang Shi-yu (Fu), a hot-headed martial artist with great potential but a Hair-Trigger Temper, Manchurian Warlord and General Che Kang who comandeers the manhunt for Shaolin practitioners decide to take advantage of the situation by offering Fang Shi-yu a position of power, and trick the young warrior into fighting Hung.
- The Atoner: When Fang Shi-yu realized he's been used as a pawn by the corrupt Manchurian government into hunting down the lawful Shaolin practitioners, he strives to have the lawful hero and leader of the Shaolin trainees, Hung Shi-kwan, who was wrongfully imprisoned because of Fang Shi-yu, rescued and to help Hung defeat the villains.
- Back-to-Back Badasses: Hung Shi-kwan and Fang Shi-yu in the final battle.
- Back-to-Back Poster: Both in an ass-kicking pose.
- Battle Amongst the Flames: The opening scene had Hung Shi-kwan leading a small band of Shaolin practitioners fighting against several martial arts traitors and mercenaries in the burning Shaolin Temple, with the flames being a fiery hazard.
- Big Bad: Manchurian Warlord and General Che Kang leads the campaign to have all Shaolin practitioners massacred, and will stop at nothing to have Hung Shi-kwan tortured and killed for opposing the corrupt Manchurian court.
- Elite Mooks: In the final battle, Fang Shi-yu and Hung Shi-kwan have to do battle against General Che Kang's expert fighters, consisting of half a dozen exceptionally well-trained brawlers wearing red capes, crimson headbands and belts and puts up hell of a tough fight.
- Good Old Fisticuffs: Swords, knives and spears exist, but everyone prefers fighting with their bare hands in this movie.
- Impromptu Tracheotomy: Fang Shi-yu and Hung Shi-kwan, being trained in the Eagle Fist style of kung fu, can rip out their enemies' throats with ease. This is how they managed to kill the main villain, General Che, in the climax.
- Let's You and Him Fight: Fang Shi-yu and Hung Shi-kwan is manipulated into thinking each other as enemies and eventually fighting each other.
- Manipulative Bastard: General Che Kang, gaining the trust of Fang Shi-yu, managed to convince Fang that Hung Shi-kwan is a traitor, resulting in Fang defeating Hung and having the latter captured alive.
- My God, What Have I Done?: When Fang Shi-yu realized that he's been used as a pawn into capturing Hung Shi-kwan, a good man and hero who is fighting the Manchurian government oppresing the people.
- Protagonist Title: The title refers to Hung Shi-kwan and Fang Shi-yu, two heroes who eventually kicks ass side by side.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Hot-headed, easily fooled and overly brash Fang Shi-yu as the red, level-headed, patient Hung Shi-kwan as the blue.
- Simple Staff: In the opening fight, Hung is shown using a staff to beat up mercenaries.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Fang Shi-yu and Hung Shi-kwan both have training scenes while shirtless. Even more so for Hung, who spends the entire final battle with his abs exposed.