Hazmat is a Horror Film by Lou Simon.
Gary (Giordan Diaz) is the host of Scary Antics, a Scare Tactics-esque Reality Show that helps people pull scary pranks on their friends. Lately, the show's ratings haven't been doing too well, and they're banking on their latest episode to help turn things around.
Their latest mark is Jacob (Norbert Velez), a rather creepy young man who's friends have recruited Scary Antics to give him a scare that they hope will make him give up his unsettling interests so he can act like a normal person around them. They decide to have the scare in the abandoned warehouse where Jacob's father used to work, which experienced a fire back in The '60s.
Unfortunately, Jacob's fight-or-flight response makes him kill their professional scare actor, Tim (Mario Nalini), which leads him to discover that he's being pranked. And he doesn't take it too well. Soon enough, everyone is holed up in the control room, trying to figure out how to escape from Jacob's wrath.
The movie was released on August 16th, 2013.
Hazmat contains examples of:
- Abandoned Area: The movie's main setting is an abandoned warehouse where Jacob's dad used to work.
- Blatant Lies: The film is often promoted with the idea that Jacob is killing as revenge for the prank his friends tried to pull on him. But; with the haunted location, the story that Jacob tells about a worker who got possessed, and Brenda unmasking Jacob to reveal a decaying face underneath, it's pretty obviously a case of possession.
- Cassandra Truth: When Ed returns with a cooler, the others contact him to warn him of what's going on. Ed just assumes they're trying to pull a prank on him.
- Cool Mask: Jacob's gas mask, combined with a bit of In the Hood, gives him a pretty cool appearance.
- Demonic Possession: The setting of the film is an old haunted factory where a chemical fire took the lives of many workers. Because of this, there is a particularly nasty spirit that ends up taking control of Jacob, causing him to become the film's Big Bad.
- Downer Ending: Just as Brenda is about to escape the building and be the Sole Survivor, Jacob grabs her and kills her.
- Dwindling Party: As per the requirements of any good horror film, the cast gets picked off one-by-one by Jacob until he kills Brenda at the end.
- Eye Scream: When he bursts into the control room, Jacob stabs David in the eye with the back of his axe.
- Hope Spot: Gary finds and opens the back door, and tells the others he'll be back... and then Jacob grabs him. See Off with His Head! below.
- Another at the ending. Just as Brenda has unlocked and opened the door to escape from the building, Jacob grabs her and kills her.
- Off with His Head!: Jacob decapitates Gary and tosses his head in view of the camera.
- One-Word Title: Naturally, with a title like "Hazmat".
- Tragic Keepsake: One of Jacob's friends has a watch that belonged to her father, who died when she was 16.