- Armor-Piercing Response: When Mathieu Kassovitz's character asks his daughter at the beach why she thinks he would leave Anaïs, she replies he also left his first wife. He doesn't have an answer to that.
- Big, Screwed-Up Family: Once again Haneke takes many stabs at the bourgeoisie.
- Black Comedy: At least partly.
- Driven to Suicide: Both Georges Laurent and his granddaughter Eve are. Both fail.
- Happy Ending: Played with, of course. The ending is formally happy but in quite a twisted way.
- Spiritual Successor: To Amour since here Jean-Louis Trintignant and Isabelle Huppert play father and daughter once again.