Grimsby (released in the United States as The Brothers Grimsby) is a 2016 action comedy from the mind of Sacha Baron Cohen. He co-stars alongside Mark Strong, Isla Fisher, Rebel Wilson, Scott Adkins and Penélope Cruz. It was directed by Louis Leterrier.
Nobby and Sebastian Butcher (Cohen and Strong) are brothers who were separated as children. 28 years later, Sebastian is a top agent at MI6 while Nobby is a father and football fan living in the slums of Grimsby, Lincolnshire. When they are reunited, the two must work together to stop a terrorist plan to unleash a deadly virus upon the world.
This film contains examples of:
- Ass Shove: Nobby slips and gets a firework jammed up there. A woman with a fire extinguisher knocks it out just in time. He and Sebastian later have to put the tips of two fireworks up their asses to prevent them from spreading the virus.
- Berserk Button:
- Nobby doesn't like it when Lukashenko speaks ill of Dawn.
- When Nobby convinces his children that the armed gunmen outside the pub are Manchester United fans, and the children aren't quick to hesitate charging outside and attacking them.
- Big Bad: Rhonda George, actress/philanthropist/terrorist mastermind.
- Black Comedy: It wouldn't be a Sacha Baron Cohen film without it. Special mention goes to Sebastian accidentally shooting a boy with AIDS in the chest, with his blood then spraying into the mouth of Daniel Radcliffe. Radcliffe later gets shot and has his AIDS-tained blood spray into the mouth of Donald Trump.
- Butt-Monkey: Schlomo, the kid with AIDS that, in his own words, is having the "worst fucking week of [his] life".
- Casual Sports Jersey: Nobby only wears the jersey of his favourite Grimsby FC striker. Said striker is one of the only Grimsby FC players that is in the England national soccer team.
- Chekhov's Gun: Nobby accidentally shooting a tracking chip into Sebestian's neck may seem like just yet another example of Nobby unintentionally bringing harm to his brother but it does come in handy when Sebastian is abducted by Maelstrom.
- Chubby Chaser: Nobby. His wife is fairly plump and when asked to seduce an attractive woman in a green dress, he chooses the fat maid in a green dress instead.
- Chubby Mama, Skinny Papa: Dawn and Nobby.
- Cigarette of Anxiety: Nobby smokes them twice over the course of the film; first after having had to suck poision from his brothers balls and second after the elephant scene.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Lukashenko (a professional hitman) easily defeats Nobby (a football hooligan) in hand to hand combat. Nobby only survives because he falls on top of Lukashenko's pistol, grabs it and shoots him in the head.
- Damned By a Fool's Praise: The people of Grimsby are shown to be dirty, uneducated, and big fans of the Fast & Furious franchise.
- Expy: Sebastian resembles Agent 47 from the Hitman series. His Mission Control is even a redhead.
- Fan Disservice: The close-up and graphic scenes where Nobby has to suck poison out of Sebastian's balls and later gives the fat maid oral sex. And then there's the elephant scene...
- Foreshadowing: A fair bit in this movie.
- When introducing Sebastian to his family, Nobby changes the channel on the TV to a nature documentary, which talks about the size of an elephant's uterus.
- Nobby's best friend tells Sebastian that he works at the pier fishing and that he's going to be shipping to Africa in the next few days.
- The heroin dealer in Africa telling Nobby that he's shipping heroin over to South America.
- The World Cup final being held in South America.
- Football Hooligans: Nobby and his acquaintances in Grimsby.
- Gag Penis: Of an elephant.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: Nobby picks up a gun and flawlessly kills several enemies.
- The Millstone: By simply giving his brother a hug, Nobby ends up leaving Schlomo with a bullet wound, giving Daniel Radcliffe HIV, and unwittingly branding Sebastian a rogue agent.
- Oh, Crap!: The film ends on a shot of Nobby pulling this look when he realises that he just shot the agents that were meant to be helping him and Sebastian.
- Oop North: Grimsby is located in this side of England.
- Our Lawyers Advised This Trope: The two disclaimers at the end of the movie. The first one is "Daniel Radcliffe was not involved in this film and is not HIV positive." The second one is the same statement for Donald Trump, with a suspiciously long pause before the "and is not HIV positive" part appears.
- Overt Operative: The Grimsby townsfolk keep invoking this on Sebastian.
- Poor Communication Kills: The Stinger has Nobby going dark on his communication right before he infiltrates a ship and discreetly kills all the armed men on board. Proud of his work, he makes his way to Sebastian.Sebastian: Oh good, you're early. Did you meet the team?
- Pre Ass Kicking One Liner: Exchanged between Lukashenko and Nobby before their showdown.Nobby: Are you gonna shoot me?
Lukashenko: No. How is it you English football supporters say? [Chuckles] Ah yes. You're going to get your bloody head kicked in.
Nobby: Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough!
- Shirtless Scene: A lot of the customers in the pub are shirtless whilst they watch the football. Mostly Fan Disservice.
- Take That!:
- "It's [underclass] scum that keeps the Fast & Furious franchise alive!"
- Donald Trump is infected with AIDS after an already-infected Daniel Radcliffe is shot.
- The kids attacking the SWAT team after being convinced by Nobby that they are Manchester United fans.
- When Sebastian introduces Nobby to Rhonda George, he explains that she runs the biggest criminal organisation in the world. Nobby assumes that organisation is FIFA.
- Too Dumb to Live: Lukashenko disarms himself to fight Nobby hand to hand but fails to unload and clear the pistol, enabling Nobby to shoot him with his own weapon when he manages to grab it during the fight.
- Would Hurt a Child: One of the SWAT members threatens to kill the kids attacking him, although he might not have meant it.