Don't take the bait.Greta
is a 2018 psychological thriller. It was theatrically released on 1 March 2019 in the United States, by Focus Features.
The film stars Chloë Grace Moretz as Frances McCullen, a young woman who befriends eccentric French piano teacher Greta Hideg, played by Isabelle Huppert, who becomes disturbingly obsessed with her.
- Abusive Parents: Greta is implied to have been this to her daughter, who committed suicide. Along with that, a woman who had known her speculates she herself suffered from extreme abuse as a child, giving her references to being "put in a box" (something she had later done to victims).
- Barefoot Captives: After Greta abducts Frances, she confiscates her shoes, forcing her to spend the rest of the movie barefoot.
- Big Damn Heroes: Erica at the end when she dresses up to fool Greta, manipulates her way into the house, and then attacks and kills her to save Frances.
- Bittersweet Ending: Erica rescues Frances from Greta and the two dump Greta in a chest. However, when the two leave, Greta starts to escape.
- Bound and Gagged: Frances is restrained like this after her first escape attempt.
- Evil Old Folks: Greta Hideg is on the older side but has a string of victims.
- Fingore: Frances cuts off Greta's pinkie by slamming it into a cookie cutter with a rolling pin.
- Not the First Victim: While being stalked by Greta, Frances learns that Greta's daughter's girlfriend that Greta seemed to have been extremely abusive to her daughter. It's never explicitly confirmed because she's a Posthumous Character, having committed suicide prior to the events of the film. It's also heavily implied that Greta had multiple victims because Frances hears the same banging through the wall at the beginning of the film that she later makes while bound to the bed in Greta's house.
- Serial Killer: It's strongly implied that Greta has previously lured in, imprisoned and eventually killed many other young woman, since the first time she meets Francis there is the same bumping noise that Francis later made trying to signal others to escape. What she did with the bodies is anyone's guess though.
- Stalker Without a Crush: Greta seems to want a daughter replacement that she can abuse, and has no romantic or sexual interest in Frances.