One day, outlaw Sam Clayton and his gang attack a small Western town and kill a man. The local preacher, Father John, manages to capture one, but Clayton guns him down on the church steps before taking over the town. However, a young boy named Johnny O'Hara sneaks off to contact John's brother Lewis, a professional gunfighter, to seek vengeance. Meanwhile, secrets brew about Johnny's prior connections to Clayton...
This film contains examples of:
- Badass and Child Duo: Lewis is summoned to town by a young boy named Johnny, who accompanies him on his vengeance quest.
- Badass Preacher: Father John's response to a murder committed in his town and the law doing nothing is to hunt the gang down and personally drag one of them to jail. Unfortunately, this gets him killed.
- Big Bad: Sam Clayton, the Outlaw that killed Father John.
- Child Of Rape: Johnny thought his father was dead, but he was actually the product of a prior rape by Sam Clayton.
- Christianity Is Catholic: Despite the much greater likelihood of an Old West preacher being Protestant, Father John is in fact Catholic.
- The Coroner Doth Protest Too Much: The Claytons force the town judge to rule their killing of Father John as self-defense.
- Crapsack World: The Old West is a desolate desert where one can go days without food or water just trying to pass through town, gangs of outlaws roam the streets, and the law is enforced by morons.
- Decoy Protagonist: We start the film following Badass Preacher Father John's battles against a gang of outlaws, but he's killed a half hour in, after which his gunslinger brother Lewis shows up to get revenge.
- Luke, You Are My Father: Johnny's mother reveals to Sam that Johnny is his son from having raped her years ago.
- Outlaw: The main antagonists are a criminal gang who have taken over a town.
- Police are Useless: The local sheriff is an alcoholic who actively refuses to go after the Claytons.
- Predecessor Villain: Long before the start of the film, Lewis took down a corrupt gambler and the thugs who went after him in revenge. They had nothin to do with the Claytons and are long dead by film's end.
- Retired Badass: Lewis has hung up his guns and become a farmer in Mexico by film's start. However, he takes up gunslinging one more time to avenge his brother's murder.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: A gunfighter returns to his hometown to slaughter the outlaws that killed his preacher brother.
- "Scooby-Doo" Hoax: when Lewis starts his vengeance quest, he dons his twin brother's frock so that the Claytons think it's his ghost.
- Serial Rapist: The Claytons each rape at least one woman in every town they ride through.
- Villain Opening Scene: The Clayton Gang riding into town guns blazing as their leader rapes a woman.