In Brooklyn, frustrated teenager Diana Guzman takes up boxing as an outlet for her anger. Despite facing disapproval from her father and a lack of enthusiasm from her potential trainers, she pursues the sport and begins fighting competitively.
This film contains examples of:
- Defeat Means Friendship: Diana and Adrian's relationship begins after he beats her in a boxing match.
- Driven to Suicide: According to Diana, her mom committed suicide because of the abuse she suffered at her father's hands.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: In the beginning of the film, Diana has so much difficulty controlling her anger that she starts fights at school.
- Papa Wolf: While Sandro is not the world's greatest dad by any stretch of the imagination, he still goes and confronts Adrian after the latter accidentally gives Diana a black eye during a sparring match.
- Wanted a Gender-Conforming Child: Sandro wants Tiny to become a professional boxer and Diana to become a homemaker, but Tiny would rather be an artist and Diana would rather fight.