Ginger Snaps Back: The Beginning (2004) is the second sequel to Ginger Snaps.
This movie is a prequel set in 1815, featuring the ancestors of the two Fitzgerald sisters.
This film contains examples of:
- Bittersweet Ending The movie ends with Brigitte, after being given the chance to kill Ginger and end the Curse, choosing instead to join Ginger as a werewolf, fulfilling their oath to be "together, forever" and presumably doom generation after generation of reincarnations to the fates they suffered in the first movie. It's the closest thing to a happy ending that the series got.
- Canada, Eh?: While all three films are set in Canada, this is the most explicitly Canadian film in the series. The setting, unlike its American counterpart The Wild West, is heavily rooted in Canada's era of westward exploration, built upon the fur industry, the hostile wilderness, and natives who are more interested in trading furs for guns than anything.
- Driven to Suicide: Wallace commits suicide air losing everything and everyone and sinking to worse depths before the werewolves overrun the fort.
- Dwindling Party: One by one characters are killed off until only the sisters remain.
- Evil-Detecting Dog: The Hunter has an evil detecting wolf.
- Jerkass: Wallace, James and Reverend Gilbert can all be quite aggressive, judgmental, cold and just flat out unpleasant at times. The same is true of Claude and Cormac once they start following James more in the second half (although the worse Cormac does is knock down a woman they know has been infected).
- Magical Native American: Played straight with the Hunter and the old woman.
- Pyrrhic Victory: All the frontiersmen and natives are dead and Fort Bailey is burned to the ground, but the sisters walk away with their lives... and the werewolf curse.
- Stock Subtitle: Featured in both sequels.
- Take a Third Option: The Hunter tells Brigitte that there are two options: kill Ginger and end the curse, or be killed by Ginger and doom the New World to be plagued by werewolves forever. At the end, Brigitte decides on a third option: she kills the Hunter and leaves with Ginger, willingly offering her arm to her sister to bite so that the two of them can be "together forever".
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: The Hunter.
- Wendigo: What the natives call the werewolves. Claude the Frenchman calls them the Loup-Garou.
- You Look Familiar: The actor who played the fairly minor role of Jeremy in the second movie also plays the role of Finn in the third one.