Ghost Graduation (Promoción fantasma) is a 2012 Spanish comedy film.
Modesto can see dead people - sadly this problem causes him a lot of trouble in life, as he's lost his teaching job at seven schools. Then he gets a job at a school haunted by five students with Unfinished Business. Pinfloy, Ángela, Mariví, Dani, and Jorge all died in a library fire 20 years ago and need to graduate high school to move on.
In late 2015 it was made avalable on Netflix with subtitles.
Tropes in this film:
- Barred from the Afterlife: Of the Unfinished Business variety.
- Blessed with Suck: It's implied that Modesto's ability to see dead people has got him fired from every school he ever worked in and cost him a fortune in psychiatrists.
- Covers Always Lie: From the poster, it looks like the skeleton is a character in the movie. He's also the first "ghost" you see. However it is revealed that the skeleton really is just a skeleton manipulated by the ghosts, and isn't a character at all.
- Driven to Suicide: Elsa REALLY wants to meet Jorge.
- Fanservice Extra: The Fanservice in this film is entirely done by extras.
- Grand Theft Me: The ghosts can possess people.
- Lampshaded Double Entendre: Jorge to Elsa: "I'm dying to be inside of you."
- Hidden Depths: Dani the delinquent is the only one to recognize an obscure quote from Dámaso Alonso's "Children of Wrath". Though he claims to have overheard it in the hallway, it's implied he actually enjoys poetry as a hobby.
- I See Dead People: Modesto can. Why is never explained.
- Letting Her Hair Down: Ángela, during her song.
- Medicate the Medium: Modesto takes drugs until he realizes he has a gift, not a curse.
- Meganekko: Ángela is your standard star-student glasses girl.
- Shout-Out: Pouring blood on a showering girl is a reference to Carrie
- During the studying montage, the kids borrow some dance moves from The Breakfast Club.
- Talking Down the Suicidal: Jorge insists to Elsa that she has to live all he could not. They do share a kiss before she comes back to her senses.
- Teen Pregnancy: Mariví was quite pregnant at the time of her death.
- Unfinished Business: The five have to finish high school. And that may have been part of it - but in additon to that: Pinfloy has to get to a party, Ángela has to find her voice, Mariví has to give the boy who got her pregnant his comeuppance, Dani has to admit he started the fire, and Jorge has to find love.
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: Pinfloy, due to him having been drunk for 20 years.
- You Can See Me?: The students when they realize Modesto can see them.