Doug Ireland (Fox) is a concierge at the Bradbury, a luxurious hotel in New York City, saving money to open his own hotel. He finds the financial supporter he needs in Christian Hanover, a somewhat unscrupulous billionaire. Christian considers the proposal and asks Doug to "take care" of his mistress, Andy Hart, a perfume saleswoman. Doug pretends to date Andy so that she can get close to Christian without his wife suspecting. Doug learns that Christian is deceiving Andy about getting a divorce. But because his hotel proposal is urgent and considers that Andy is old enough to make her own decisions, he doesn't intervene. However, as he and Andy spend time together, he develops feelings for her, and now he must choose if he's in, well, for love or money.
This film features examples of:
- Androcles' Lion: Early in the film, Doug refused to fire a senile member of the hotel staff. At the end of the film, it is revealed that said member accidentally sent Doug's business plan to Harry Wegman, who decides to put up the $3 million that Doug needs.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Harry Wegman, the tycoon whose marriage Mike helped rekindle. He ends up receiving Doug's business plan by happenstance and agrees to bankroll the project.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Christian, besides the whole two-timing thing, solidifies himself as this when when he attempts to trick Doug into signing a document that was intended to permit the billionaire to take over the hotel project Doug had optioned and force Doug out.
- The Mistress: Andy is Christian's mistress.
- Your Cheating Heart: Christian cheats on his wife with Andy.