Seventeen-year-old Erica Vandross (Zoey Deutch) propositions pedophilic men in her town before blackmailing them in order to save money for her father's bail. When her mother Laurie (Kathryn Hahn)'s boyfriend Bob Sherman (Tim Heidecker) brings his son Luke (Joey Morgan) home from rehab to live with them, Erica realizes that Luke is hiding something about a high school teacher in town (Adam Scott)...and it's a problem she can help him with.
This film contains examples of:
- Accidental Murder: Luke accidentally kills Will by pushing the latter onto a coffee table... and impaling him on an Eiffel tower figurine. Since he was roofied, this is not apparent right away.
- Bittersweet Ending: Erica and Luke are caught and charged for Will's murder, with Luke getting jailtime and Shep not being happy with either. But Erica's on better terms with her mother, and because of her and Luke's actions multiple girls came forward about being molested by Will, leading to Luke getting a reduced sentence and Erica only house arrest and probation.
- Blended Family Drama: Erica apparently scares off all her mom's boyfriends and resents that Bob and now Luke are invading her space.
- Double Standard: Erica'a behaviour towards Luke throughout the film would be treated as sexual harassment if the genders were reversed, such as: offering a blowjob while he's having a panic attack (and pushing it when he says no), touching him inappropriately after finding out he was molested, and treating his apparent trauma with a lot of callousness. She's never really called out for any of this. She also reacts to him refusing the blowjob (because she's, you know, his step-sister) by insulting his weight and accusing him of being gay.
- False Rape Accusation: Variation. Will's sexual harassment case was thrown out and he considers it a desperate cry for help by the accuser. Luke later admits that he was lying, but he did see Will molest a female classmate and lied that he was abused to protect her.
- Fille Fatale: Erica is explicitly seventeen. Her m.o. is to charm older men and give them a blowjob while her friends obtain evidence of this act. The three of them then blackmail the guy for engaging in sexual acts with a minor and extort money out of him.
- Flirty Stepsiblings: When told to comfort Luke, Erica offers him a blowjob. Luke is aghast at the possibility of getting a blowjob from his future stepsister. However, he confesses his love for her later and they have sex.
- The Ghost: Despite Erica's father being her primary motivation, he never makes an appearance beyond a photograph in Erica's locket.
- Meet Cute: Invoked by Erica, who stages a cutesy bump-in 'first meeting' at the grocery store in order to charm Will.
- Men Are the Expendable Gender: The only character involved in Will's murder who gets punished is Luke, despite him being the only one who wanted nothing to do with the scheme. Although it's stated his sentence will be reduced, Erica and her friends get away with it completely.
- Run for the Border: After Luke and Erica find Will's dead body, they make a break for Mexico. Erica decides she doesn't want to live her life on the run and says she'd rather turn themselves in.
- Slipping a Mickey: Erica and her friends roofie Will's beer before Erica's second seduction attempt.
- Slut-Shaming: Erica gets into a Cat Fight with a popular girl at school who calls her a slut and makes fun of her dad in jail.